🤓 MeisterHacks: Turn Ideas into Action

Miša Hennin
Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin
edited August 2023 in Tips and Templates

Hey!

Mind maps are so brilliant because of their versatility - you can use them to jot down scattered thoughts, find new ideas, organize your days and plan your projects. With MindMeister, you can take these processes to the next level without ever leaving the mind mapping tool.

Simply click the ellipsis (...) on any topic and then Task. Choose your project, task and add any details. You can find more information here. 

Do you already use the MeisterTask integration? Share examples of your MindMeister-MeisterTask workflow below! I'd love to see how you're using the integration. 

Comments

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor

The MM-MT integration works really well in my classes.

For some collaborative projects, we start by having bigger group discussions to collect ideas in mind maps. Then I ask students to assign tasks directly from MM so that each student is accountable for a certain line of research or preparation.

I think this helps on several fronts. 1) It ensures students leave classes with clear next steps outlined. They don't finish with ideation but with action items. 2) It teaches responsibility and accountability. Students leave the class knowing exactly which part of the project they are responsible for completing. 3) Task assignment is totally transparent. I can view their mind map and see who was responsible for what. I'm not left trying to chase down a scrap piece of paper in somebody's pocket to discover who didn't complete their work on time.

• Richard Vitaris
    Richard Vitaris EN Basic Posts: 46 Star Contributor

From time to time we may want to use a mind map in meetings with non-mind mappers, many of whom have never even heard of the mind map. Some of them will be tech-averse, and might be put off even at the suggestion of using software (or its web-based equivalent) with which they are unfamiliar.

I will prepare a blank mind map template on a plain piece of paper and give it to them suggesting they "fill in the blanks." Here is example that I use in mediations. https://mm.tt/2261714570?t=3PY3snCudE The map asks a litigant to identify the potential outcomes if he wins, loses, or settles his court case.

I will later type in their responses into MindMeister and give them a PDF copy of the map along with the MindMeister site, telling them that they can sign up for a free account if they wish to view or make additions or changes to the map.

At the least, this "hack" gives them the information they need and some of the benefits of a mind map. At best, it introduces of them to mind mapping.

• MiÅ¡a Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Hey @Rvitaris,

I love this idea - it allows for a very gentle introduction to MindMeister which would be beneficial especially for those who have resistance to technology (as you described). I'm interested, do you find many people do check out the online mind map or the majority just stick with the print out?

Feel free to add this suggestion as its very own MeisterHack in the MindMeister Get Inspired category and win a MeisterHacks badge!

Best,

Miša

• Richard Vitaris
    Richard Vitaris EN Basic Posts: 46 Star Contributor

Some people have told me later that they have gone to the MM site and signed up for an account, probably a free (Basic) one after using the template. That's okay because your Basic membership reminds me of the old Lay's Potato Chip ad which said, "Betcha' can't eat just one!" Once someone learns how great mind mapping is, they will need more than three maps and move up to Personal or Pro.

• MiÅ¡a Hennin

Ah @Rvitaris brilliant 😀!

Thanks for sharing

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor

Hey @Rvitaris thanks for sharing this idea - it must work very well. In classes with mature students I can imagine some resistance to using an online mind mapping tool. It probably just seems like a load of hassle with little benefit. But by sharing the templates in physical pen and paper form, people can really see the value.

Best,

Emily