Is there a way to reduce file size?

Options
Kefson
Kefson EN Basic Posts: 2 New Here
edited December 2022 in Ask the Community

Hello friends,

I have a .mind file to import, but the size is 208mb and the site only limits it to 200mb in size. What can I do to open the file? Is there a way to compress it? I really need to open the file.

Hugs

Best Answer

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Kefson, there was some discussion on this topic a while back on this subject here:

Long story short, there is no way to directly bypass the 200MB limit when importing a mind map, but the mind map creator can indeed reduce the size of the map below 200MB by replacing some of of the attachments on the mind map with a link to Google Drive (or some other storage service).

The actual "mind map" information requires very little storage space, but any attachments that have been uploaded to the map will be added directly to your export. Since the map is 208MB, I'm guessing it has some larger files/video attached? I attach a lot of videos to Mind Maps and just paste links to the file in Google Drive - the file remains visible in the map and I can quickly jump to it, just as if it was added to the map. Let me know if this helps!

Alternatively, you could bypass the export/import flow completely if the mind map owner shares the map with you via link. Do you still have contact with the map owner?

Best,

Andrew

Answers

• Kefson
    Kefson EN Basic Posts: 2 New Here
    Options

Hello, friend!

Unfortunately I no longer have contact with the owner of the mind map. I only have the file exported by the owner. So apparently I will not open the mind map :(

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

Sorry to hear that, Kefson! If you send me a DM with the owner's e-mail/username and the name of the map, I could try to contact them from our database, but I can't make any guarantees.