Is it possible to set up an automation sending an MT move task notification to Google Chat?

Joy
Joy EN Basic Posts: 5 Beginner
edited February 2023 in Ask the Community

I have decided to use Google Chat (Spaces) for team communication for a new project, rather than using Slack.

I want to set up an automation that will send a notification to a Google Chat Space (like a Slack channel) when a task is moved into a Meistertask project column.

I thought there may already be an integration available but cannot find anything.

I am aware of the option to send an email, however, that is not the most suitable solution for this situation.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Best Answer

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

aHi @Joy ! Welcome to the community also from my side 👋

Hm - I think I might be able to help here!

If you're trying to set up the automation to occur when a task is created or moved to a certain section, you shouldn't need a task ID. I just set up a similar zap in the following way:

For my trigger "Event", I selected "New Task."

After confirming my account details, I was prompted to choose the project and section I'd like to be notified about. I left the task status as "Open" and didn't specify a label (Tag), as seen below:

I was able to set up this trigger without ever having to enter a task ID. Now, whenever a task is created or moved into the "Analysis of Matches" section of my project, my zap is triggered.

Does your zap setup look like this as well? I'd be curious to know where it has prompted you to enter a task id!

Best,

Andrew

Answers

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business, EN Advocate Posts: 1,377 Community Leader

Hi @Joy and welcome to the community 👋🙂

as far as I know there unfortunately isn't an integration for Google Chat yet. But you can easily connect MeisterTask to Google Chat using integrately or zapier.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Joy

Thank you, Jörg 🙂

I have tried the zapier version, however, it is not allowing me to apply the automation to 'any' task, only a specific task. The 'Find Task' trigger is not working. They are looking into it for me though.

I will check out integrately in the meantime. I was not aware of them.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Regards, Joy

• Joy

Unfortunately, it seems there must be a limitation, as integrately also requires you to specify the 'task id' to create the integration.

This is not a practical solution, as the purpose is to be notified when any task moves into the column. Having to set up an integration on every task would defeat the purpose of the time-saving effect we are seeking.

I assume this must be an API limitation, so I will need to find a workaround...or be forced to move the team to Slack :(

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business, EN Advocate Posts: 1,377 Community Leader

Hi @Joy, let me try to get @Andrew Lapidus on board.

Maybe he has some more informations about that 👍️

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Joy

Hi Andrew, thank you for your response, and the welcome.

I had not considered the New Task zap option, as the tasks have already been created and didn't realise that it would possibly have other uses, such as altering existing tasks.

I was attempting to use the New Attachment zap, as that will be part of the action the team will take at the time of moving every task to the new column, which is when I actually want the trigger to start. New Attachment requires a Task Id.

I'll give the 'New Task' a go...hopefully that will work for us!

Regards, Joy

• Joy

Thanks heaps, Andrew! That works just how I need it to!

Now that I know, I will read the small print description of the available Zaps a bit more closely to make sure I understand what potential they have, as the initial title does not really describe it.

Regards, Joy

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Thrilled to hear that worked, @Joy!

Totally agree with you re: the misleading title... The trigger "new task" doesn't describe the functionality well at all - it doesn't reflect the normal kanban workflow of moving a task into the next column! I'll have a word with our dev team to try and get a better description of this trigger in zapier.

Wishing you a great start to your week!

Best,

Andrew