[PLANNED] Let users populate a MeisterTask project with tasks using MindMeister child nodes

Options
Dave Todaro
Dave Todaro EN Basic Posts: 6 Beginner
edited January 2023 in MeisterTask Feature Board

As a user who is creating a new MeisterTask project from a given node in a MindMeister mind map

I want the option to automatically create project tasks from the child nodes of the given node

So that I can efficiently create new projects without the risk of forgetting to include some of the ideas my team has put into creating the mind map during the ideation phase

USE CASE: I'm a project manager or program director who wants to shorten the time from ideation to planning to execution. When a mind map is used to capture ideas/requirements for a large project or a program that will include several related projects, some of the nodes in the mind map will have many children and perhaps many hierarchical levels. When that occurs, it is often easier for project managers to focus on their particular piece of the program if they don't have to see all the details of related projects. Currently, to help with this, the MindMeister/MeisterTask integration allows a user to create a new project based on any given node of the mind map - but then it is still necessary to populate the new project with tasks. This can be time-consuming, and some tasks (sub-nodes in the mind map) might be missed. If I was able to automatically include some or all of the sub-nodes as tasks in the new project I'm creating, the process of turning my team's best ideas into a project with actionable tasks will be reduced. In some circumstances the improved velocity can lead to competitive advantage or more effective risk mitigation, depending on projects' nature.

Suggested iterative roadmap of how this might be rolled out:

Iteration 0 (MVP): Give user option to user to include all, or select sub-nodes, as project tasks that will all populate into the "Open" column of the new project.

Iteration 1: Provide ability for the user to create custom columns as part of the project creation workflow and then to choose which of the project columns each of the tasks that are being automatically created, will be populated into.

15 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Comments

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

Love this suggestion - thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed use case!

One of our most primary, company-wide goals these upcoming quarters is to improve how our products integrate with each other. The first step is of course to research and explore our users' needs and discover how we can best serve our users.

This suggestion might also be interesting for @Nate Ricker and @Art Jones , I know you both mentioned a similar suggestion on another thread. Would be great to get your feedback as well!

• Susan Kachele
    Susan Kachele MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 5 Active Contributor
    Options

Yes I would love this! Very basically, I just wanted to convert a mind map into a project and imagined that sub-topic would be a new project section. If this could be possible on any hierarchical level, I'd be really happy.

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader
    Options

This could potentially streamline the project creation big time.

The mass email subject for when this is feature gets implemented:

From Brainstorming To Execution In A Few Clicks

Eager to see this one, best regards.

Andrés D'Andrea

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor
    Options

Count me in!

• JoiedeVivre
    JoiedeVivre EN Basic Posts: 65 Star Contributor
    Options

This is a really great suggestion - I came to MindMeister through MT and MN and was also hoping for a way to turn large maps into projects with more efficiency. I like the idea of being able to create a project out of any node, and being able to immediately populate the project with all sub-nodes.

The new integration lets me change a lot of details in a task without leaving MM, but I'd rather do this in MT anyway.

• Olaf Roeb
    Olaf Roeb EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 121 Star Contributor
    edited November 2022
    Options

In MeisterTask, I usually feel like a user. I like to see progress, of course, getting things done, and never doubt the need for management to be productive and avoid procrastination. And, like all of us, I do need relief from being under pressure by the sheer number and weight of tasks and deadlines.

Mind mapping, on the other hand, is the part of work I really love in itself. It's much closer to my process of thinking and my way of feeling, even to the language I prefer. Intrinsic motivation by definition.

So being able to shift some weight, time, and energy from the management environment into the creative and development process would undoubtedly mean huge progress in my eyes. This is, of course, a very personal perspective, and I'd really like to read about other opinions. Very interesting and promising feature request, @dtodaro1, keen to see the outcome.👍️

• JoiedeVivre
    Options

I like the way you phrase it @Olaf Roeb - a lot of online tools claim to be "fun to use" but this is almost never true. I think there is a lot of potential to be had in getting the most possible enjoyment out of the ideation phase.

• Dave Todaro
    Options

Awesome! As a person who has been involved in steering product direction and ranking to developers on a daily basis, I'm especially happy to know they are excited to be working on it!

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor
    Options

Hi @Andrew Lapidus thanks for the good news!

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader
    Options

This template by @Rooster McNugget will be a great testing canvas for this feature when it gets implemented.

Looking forward to seeing this functionality available in my dashboard soon.

Best regards.

Andrés D'Andrea.

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• JoiedeVivre
    Options

Thanks for the update!

• RaphaelH
    RaphaelH EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner
    Options

Hi,
    New to MindMeister and this is a quick limitation to my workflow. I wrote hundreds of topics on MindMeister and would like to have all these transformed as Tasks in MeisterTasks.

• Dave Todaro
    Options

Hi MeisterLabs people… any status update on this?

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

Hi Dave - Unfortunately, the team hasn't yet communicated a concrete release date for this. I'll keep this thread updated as soon as I have more info!

Best,

Andrew