[UNDER CONSIDERATION] 💡 Feature request: Show status of a task

Samuel Schläpfer
Samuel Schläpfer MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 595 Community Leader
edited November 2023 in MeisterTask Feature Board

I would find it super if in the tasks in MeisterTask additionally the status of a task could be selected like for example "in work". This would help to keep the overview, if you are e.g. assigned as an observer and not actively working on the task. Because at the moment I only know if the task has been completed, but I can't see if the task has already been started. 

The impossible does not exist! The solution has just not been found yet!

Tagged:
16 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Comments

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader

Good morning @Rooster McNugget 👋🙂

I've voted for your request because I know, many users would love to have a feature like that too. I don't know if you're already using this workflow (I'm sure you do), but I'd like to mention this anyway for others that doesen't know about it yet:

• When you for example create a section like "in work", you can integrate the automation to add a tag like "in work". If you have pinned the task to your agenda, you can see the tag and know, the task is in progress when it is pushed into the related section.
    • When you have created a project board, where team members have their own sections, you can integrate the same automation with a related tag (in progress by "name"). When the task is pushed in the related section, you can see in the agenda who's working on it.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Samuel Schläpfer

Hi @Jörg Koper, 👋

you're right. I already work like this. And for me at the computer it works fine. The thing is, if your on the road (working on tablet or smartphone) and you have a task you begin, it would be much easier to just change the status with a new button for example "start task" like the "close task" (Aufgabe abschliessen) button.

And this way I should not have to push the task every time to a new section and this way I also wouldn't need always an extra section.

And as I said, I would want to use the function mainly for the overview of the work status of our employees .

Best and have a great day! ☀️ Samuel

• Joerg Koper

Great explanation @Rooster McNugget and absolutely replicable 👍️

Thanks for the request 😊

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Definitely agree with you on this one, @Rooster McNugget. In fact, I think that our developers may already be looking to implement such a change.

As part of this planned update, our team is planning on replacing the "Complete" button with a "Task status" indicator: something like a dropdown menu with various options: "Open, Complete, Archived, Deleted" etc.)

I think your suggestion could be very well implemented with this update. Do you think you'd need a separate status for "Open" and "In Progress"? Or would the existence of "Open" (instead of just a complete button) already be the change you'd like to see? I hope that question makes sense 😅

Best,

Andrew

• Samuel Schläpfer

Hi @Andrew Lapidus,

yes, the question makes sense. 😉👍️

Personally, I'm not a big fan of dropdown menus when I'm on the go. On the computer it's ok. From my point of view, a button "in progress" and the existing button "complete task" would be enough. As long as the task has not been set "in progress" it hasn't yet been started and is therefore still open.

Best, Samuel

• Andrew Lapidus

Great to hear 😀 I'll tell you what - I'll make sure to share some design mockups for the new menu with everyone in this thread (including up-voters) before release - this way we can get your feedback 😀

You'll be hearing from me!

Best,

Andrew

• Joerg Koper

@Andrew Lapidus

This is a great suggestion Andrew 🙏

Best, Jörg

• Samuel Schläpfer

• Aleksandra Paciorek
    Aleksandra Paciorek EN Basic Posts: 1 Beginner

Yes, please!!! Love this idea and it is much needed!

• Milan Tasevski
    Milan Tasevski EN Business Posts: 3 Beginner

So, after a while, I am coming to this forum to request this exact thing, and what do you know! The 2nd topic is exactly that request. :)

I would personally not like it to be a dropdown menu either. Or rather, sure, let's have dropdown menu but let's also leave the button where it is and simply add a Start step to it (instead of just having Complete > Archive )

For me, it makes most sense that when you create a task, the steps on the button would be:
    1. Start
    When you click Start, the button turns to "Complete" and on the right side of the button, an "In Progress" tag appears.

It would also be very much helpful if the tasks "In Progress" are discreetly highlighted on the board so you can immediately notice them.

Additionally, if I can somehow click on a teammate and see which tasks they have "In Progress" on their "profile" it would save so much time of communication with my team. This is because we work on multiple tasks on project boards at the same time, and it's really hard to keep track of this.

Then the button goes as normal (Completed > Archive)

I think this would be fantastic!

• Andrew Lapidus

Thanks for the excellent feedback Milan — really love the idea of being able to click on a user's "profile" to see the tasks assigned to them. This is an idea our product team has also toyed with.

Personally, I still make use of Jörg's suggestion here of using automated tags to show a task's progress, but definitely appreciate the need for the other workflow. Long term, our team would also like to add a "table/list" view of a MeisterTask project, and in this case, it would certainly be absolutely necessary to add a task status as an essential parameter.

• Channing Kelly
    Channing Kelly EN Business Posts: 59 Star Contributor

@Rooster McNugget I've been meaning to tell you about an (imperfect) workaround I've started using for this which is to set up a custom field called "status" and then choices of [not yet started, started, waiting on someone else, paused]. The downside is it does not show on the overview, but it's one way to at least get some insight.

• Samuel Schläpfer

Hi @Channing Kelly and thanks for the hint. I will try it out. Maybe it works for me too.

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin
    edited November 2023

Hi everyone 👋,

I wanted to give an update on this feature idea: The Meister team has viewed, tested and evaluated this idea of showing the status of a task.

💡 Currently, the team is planning to develop a progress meter.

📅 Expected timeline: Currently there is no timeline that I can share. But I will let you know when the planning is done, and this feature is in development. By then, the timeline will hopefully be clearer.

Some of you may have read the idea above about changing the "Complete" button. This button will still get a bit of a touch-up, and we will apply some lipstick, but at the moment - as far as I know - it will not get a drop-down menu.

Stay tuned and subscribe to the thread to stay updated.

• Cathy Fanning
    Cathy Fanning International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 160 Mastermind

Yes, please. This will be an excellent addition to tasks.

Regards

Cathy Fanning

www.thetemporaryalternative.com.au