Compact layout option between auto-layout and manual

Nathanael Coyne
Nathanael Coyne EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 56 Star Contributor

Auto layout is cool but wastes a LOT of whitespace.

Manual layout is handy for utilising that wasted space and is useful for creating meaningful distance between parents and siblings e.g. this node is related but distant - but gets messy quickly because suddenly every other node pretends the manually positioned node no longer exists and just closes up the gap, with captions overlying lines.

I would like the ability to manually move a node (see Child 2) but ensure the other auto-aligned nodes won't overlay the line (like in second diagram), so basically still auto aligning to make space for the line (like in third diagram).

5 votes

Open for voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Monk1990
    Monk1990 EN Basic Posts: 2 Beginner

+1 This is a great idea, agreed!

It's great to have a simple "mind map" auto-alignment option, but only having this single option is a bit too broad for my taste.

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Thanks for the excellent and clear suggestion, @NathanaelCBR. I'm also a fan of this - I agree that there is certainly lot of potential in expanding the auto-layout options we have available. I'll make sure to flag this post for our product team!

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

Great explanation of your feature request @NathanaelCBR 🌟 You've got my vote too ⬆

This will be a great improvement when it gets implemented.

Cheers!

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.