What are future plans of extending API V2 to match or surpass functionality provided with API V1?

itsafire
itsafire EN Basic Posts: 3 New Here
edited February 2023 in Ask the Community

Hello everyone. I just arrived, and am trying to get around. The question blow interests me the most currently. Maybe someone can shed light on this matter. Thanks.

I just discovered mindmaster and am interested in integrating my mind maps within my own infrastructure. API V1 provides a broad selection of methods, that seem to fill my needs. API V2 falls short of providing methods of querying maps besides authentication and export functionality.

What are future plans of extending API V2 to match or surpass functionality provided with API V1?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi - sorry to get back a bit late, a large portion of the team was out for the holidays.

I've had some back and forth discussion with our dev team on this subject the last few days. Long story short, there are unfortunately no plans to extend the functionality of API v2 to what was possible with API v1. In fact, the team are already looking to make v3 publicly available by the end of next year.

So unfortunately, I'm sorry to say there will be no updates to MindMeister's API functionality any time soon. That being said, the team was very interested in hearing your use case and understanding which specific methods of querying maps would be most essential within your infrastructure.

Best,

Andrew

Answers

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Hi @itsafire , welcome to the community and thanks for the great question! I'm actually unsure of the current plans for extending API v2 for MindMeister. I know that v1 is deprecated and "not recommended" by our team, but it still shouldn't break anything if you want to give it a try. However, V1 will be finally sunsetted in 2023, so I think your question is a super valid point. I've just forwarded it on to our product team, who should have some more insight and answers! I'll let you know when I have more info.

Best wishes and happy holidays,

Andrew

• itsafire

Any update from the product team?

• itsafire

Thank you so much for the information. I will check out mind meister next year.

A simple answer to the devs question: I like to have read/write access to all attributes of my data. Thus I would be able to automatically import/export to other systems like for example Omni Focus.

• truemetal
    truemetal EN Basic Posts: 1 Beginner

Inability to read / create mind-map elements via API is a serious short-coming of MindMeister. I was a loyal user of MindMeister for many years, but as soon as Miro makes the general release of their API v2, which allows me to use scripts to process and change my mindmaps, I will have to make a switch :-(

• klueless
    klueless EN Basic Posts: 1 New Here
    edited April 2023

Well at least put the documentation for V2 back on display, I agree with others here about it being a serious short-coming of MindMeister.

I have used MM for over 10 years, written working code for V1 and V2 in the past and the thing I find incredibly frustrating with your company is that you have these awesome features (API, Presentation Mode) and then you take them away or hobble them.

It would have been better if you never had the features.

I recently tested my V2 API code and saw that it worked, but it seems to not bring back all the nodes on a mind map, probabally a pagination issue, but the V2 API docs are not anywhere to see, so I can't fix it.

The Docs seem to have Auth information but know API information