🤓 MeisterHacks: Using Focus Mode for Presentations

Options
Tatiana Torres
Tatiana Torres International Partner, EN Business Posts: 28 Star Contributor
edited August 2023 in Tips and Templates

Hello everyone,

As a teacher I always use MindMeister for create my class content and also for presenting that's why I highly recommend to right click on your mindmap when you're going to start a presentation and activate focus mode that way you only will see your MindMap you can also zoom in and out while you're talking.

Comments

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,344 Community Admin
    Options

Hey @Tatiana Torres!

Thanks so much for sharing - using Focus Mode to present your mind maps is a brilliant idea (especially before presentation mode is added to the new editor!)

@Andrew Lapidus also used to teach - maybe he has an insight on this too.

Best,

Miša

• Angelika
    Angelika EN Basic Posts: 11 Active Contributor
    Options

Hey @Tatiana Torres, thanks so much for sharing this tip. I never thought of it myself😅 but it's a great way around the loss of presentation mode in the new editor. I'll definitely give it a try!

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor
    Options

@Tatiana Torres I've been doing the same since the new editor was introduced! I still prefer the old school presentation mode but using Focus Mode has definitely worked out alright. I'm sure this tip has come in handy to lots of people😊.

• Oliver Wich
    Oliver Wich DACH Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 80 Star Contributor
    Options

Uspkilling Enthusiast. Empowering a new Generation of Legal Experts.

• Tatiana Torres
    Tatiana Torres International Partner, EN Business Posts: 28 Star Contributor
    Options

hey @Oliver Wich in your keyboard once focus mode is activated you can zoom in and out with the plus "+" and "-" try it :)

• Olaf Roeb
    Olaf Roeb EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 121 Star Contributor
    Options

Love that, @Tatiana Torres, hiding as many distracting eye-catchers as possible, whenever possible.😎

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business, EN Advocate Posts: 1,379 Community Leader
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi @Oliver Wich When you position the pointer of your mouse over a desired point in your MindMap you can directly zoom into that point by holding shift while using the scrolling wheel of your mouse. Same way out. And holding STRG (CTRL) while using the scrolling wheel of your mouse is generally zooming in and out 😉

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

Hi everyone - loving the tips here!

I also wanted to get your feedback on a focus-mode idea posted in this recent review.

The reviewer is super positive about the new editor, but had an interesting take on Focus Mode. He's not so sure it makes a tremendous difference while working, and wanted something else:

My preference? The REAL focus mode that some mind mapping software used to offer – but which apparently has gone the way of the dinosaurs… In this version, selecting a topic in your mind map and invoking focus mode made the rest of your mind map temporarily DISAPPEAR.

This really created a distraction-free thinking environment for building out the content of your mind map, one section at a time. When you were done, you simply “focused out” and the rest of your mind map reappeared in the editor.

In other words, I don’t think the new MindMeister focus mode goes far enough to help easily-distracted users to do their best thinking.

Our dev team is a bit intrigued by this idea, as it was an idea floating around during the creation of the new editor... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

• Olaf Roeb
    Olaf Roeb EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 121 Star Contributor
    Options

Somewhat accidentally I found a beautiful LinkedIn Video concerning focus this morning that you all might love, , maybe you already saw it (originally on Twitter). As the main and only visible actor here is a German Shepard, I suspect that particularly @Andrew Lapidus might love it. Enjoy your day!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/protect-wildlife-save-the-nature_its-all-about-focus-credit-ig-activity-6990039240315142144-3qt9?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

By the way, Andrew, I think that themindmappingsoftwareblog you quoted (thank you for sharing) has a point, although I think these concepts do not necessarily concur with each other. They might both be useful in different situations and serve different purposes, but also work together beautifully and kind of synergize. What I really like about that review is this paragraph: "If you haven’t tried mind mapping software and are pondering a place to start, I can’t think of a better tool than MindMeister. You’ll be up and running with its intuitive toolset in no time."

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

@Olaf Roeb This video... is incredible 😀😀😀 If I could bring even half of that focus to any activity, I'd probably rule the world within a few days.

I tend to agree with your assessment, Olaf - although I'm not the biggest focus mode user, I generally feel that the strength of mind mapping in general is getting the "big picture" without getting distracted by the small-details in a list or pure text document. But I was curious to hear other's feedback!

And yes - there is definitely no better place to start than MindMeister! 😁 I know of no other app that allows such a quick start to a beautiful mind map!