Is there a way we can embed maps but not publish entirely?

Jonathan Blair-Joly
Jonathan Blair-Joly EN Basic Posts: 7 Beginner
edited February 2023 in Ask the Community

Hi,

Is there a way we can embed maps but not publish entirely. it can be public but not visible by search engines.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader
    Answer ✓

Hi @qano and welcome to the community 👋🙂

you can share your mind map without having to publish them in the public with the following steps:

I think that should work for you 😉

A further cool explanation about the difference between sharing and publishing of mind maps, written by @Andres D'Andrea may help you too.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @qano - thanks for reaching out!

I also just checked with our internal developers - @Jörg Koper is correct, a map needs to be both published and link-shared in order to be embedded.

Sorry if this doesn't quite fit your use case - I understand the worry about having your mind map indexed by search engines. Keep in mind, however, that for a map on private support platform, it's generally unlikely that a user would ever stumble upon the Mind Map accidentally via search. However, I do of course understand that publicly sharing a map is a definite no-go when it comes to sharing security-sensitive information.

Best,

Andrew

Answers

• Jonathan Blair-Joly

Thank you for your quick reply!

We need to embed the Maps on a support platform we built. Sharing does not seem to allow the embed feature. Embed is important for us because we will do some frequent updates on all the maps, and we want them to update on our support platform without exporting them.

I hope there is a way we can handle this!

Thank you

• Jonathan Blair-Joly

Hi!

Our maps will not contain sensitive information, I understand that even publish, it can hard to find it on Google, that is fine for us but I saw on your documentation that a publish map is also indexed in MindMeister public map library and will be easily found.

Our goal is not to be totally private but we don't want to be shown as ideas for other user, this is still specific information that we don't want to output publicly.

• Joerg Koper

Hi again @qano 👋🙂

Another solution could be to create a MeisterNote and integrate the desired map. Then you can share your Notes with external users and invite them via E-Mail-Address too.

Maybe it's worth a try 😉

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

• Joerg Koper

And another hint from my side:

When you try to invite others without having to activate the share button, it is working. When you insert the E-Mail-Address of another MindMeister user (Guest), you need to press enter on your keyboard.

After that, you get the activated "inviting" button.

When the "Guest" is entering his own MindMeister account, he sees the new map in his "my maps" folder. Please make sure that you set the access rights correctly. "Read only" should be your choice here.

Would be great if it works for you.

• Jonathan Blair-Joly

That's great! Thanks for helping me!

But... is it going to be "embed"?

And, inside a note, is it possible to embed the map without having to click on a link.

Thanks again!

• Joerg Koper
    edited February 2023

Hi @qano,

you're welcome 😉

To your first question: I don't know what you exactly mean. On a website or where? If you're familiar with web design, you can of course embed a map. In MeisterNote the embedding is automatically done by MeisterNote itself.

When you have embedded a map in MeisterNote, your guests have to click on the link to open the map. If you mean, to only open a picture of the map for your guest, you can of course make a screenshot of the map or export your map in a desired format.

Best, Jörg

• Royersm
    Royersm EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner

I don't understand why there's not an option to have embed without indexing it and publishing it to the global meistercommunity. Especially if you're paying for the app. I too want to be able to embed the map without publishing or publishing without indexing/including in the meister community.

• Joerg Koper

Hi @Royersm 👋🙂

I don't know if it's useful for you, but here's at least a nice explanation by @Andres D'Andrea about sharing and non-public use of mind maps. Would be great if it helps you.

Best, Jörg

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

Hello @Royersm this is a great idea deserving of a feature request. I invite you to click on the following button below these lines and redact it in your words:

https://community.meister.co/post/idea/feature-ideas

Create a feature request

You'll get my support if you go ahead and publish this feature request.

Best regards.

Andrés D'Andrea

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

Hey @Joerg Koper thanks for the tag mate!

I believe @qano has a point in wanting to embed an iframe with their mind map without having to get it published and indexed in the Public MindMeister Catalog.

However, that's not the current way the platform works @qano. I mean, if you want to embed, you have to publish the mind map. There's no way around it at the moment.

I suggested in my previous response to create a feature request, and surely, it will get implemented if enough support comes through the community for it.

@qano the solutions and alternatives already explained by @Joerg Koper cover what can be done today with the current state of the MindMeister platform.

In summary, the current Meister alternatives are:

• Publish the mind map to embed it in a web page via iframes
      • This will also get it published in the Public MindMeister Catalog
      • This is “sort of” what you want, with the most public repercussions.
    • Share de mind map via email invitations to get it accessed only by certain people.
      • This is also “sort of” what you want, in terms of privacy.
      • You won't be able to embed the mind map in a web page this way, though.
    • Embed the mind map in a MeisterNote document and share that note with certain people.
      • This gets you “Embedding” and “Privacy” but not on your website.
      • Notes will have to be shared with the people you want them to see it.

Alternatively, if your requirements need a solution outside the restrictions and conditions imposed by Meister and their platform, you can send me a PM, and we can discuss a custom solution for your website.

Be ready to respond to the following questions:

• What platform is your website built on?
      • Any of the popular CMS like the big 3: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal?
      • Custom PHP HTML code?
      • Web builder included by a major CRM provider?
      • Something else?
    • How big is the mind map you want to share?
      • Just few topics up to 3 levels in depth max?
      • Hundreds of topics with more than 5 levels of depth?
    • What's the purpose of having a mind map embedded in your web page?
      • To show read only content? Why not a high-res PNG like @Joerg Koper mentioned?
      • Do you want clickable content inside a diagram?
      • Will there be other people editing the mind map inside the web page?
      • Do you want sub topics to be expanded and contracted in the web page?
      • Do you want other people to download a copy of your mind map?

The most info you have about the scope and nature of your requirements, the better we'll be able to help 😉

Best regards.

Andrés D'Andrea.

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.