🤓 MeisterHacks: Use "Show as Boundary" to Distinguish Between Different Points

Miša Hennin
Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin
edited August 2023 in Tips and Templates

Hey,

Mind maps can become overwhelming when you have ideas scattered all over the place. To bring some structural organization to your ideas, try to:

Check out the picture below to show how @Olaf Roeb has used this feature in his brilliant shortcuts mind map:

You can see that the Learning Process on the right is a self-contained and distinct set of information. This helps you group different ideas and add emphasis.

To do this:

1. Select multiple topics by holding Shift and clicking them.
  2. Click the ellipsis in the corner of a selected topic.
  3. Check the box next to Show as Boundary.

Do you already use this feature? Let me know what you think!

Best,

Miša

Comments

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

@Miša and @Olaf Roeb brilliant stuff 💡

Thanks for taking the time to make such an insightful mind map about MindMeister keybinding @Olaf Roeb.

Staying in the keyboard as much as possible is a big priority for me, so I find what you've done really valuable, my friend 🏆

I learned a couple of new shortcuts, and I specially liked your framework for categorizing shortcuts according to usage.

Keep it up mate 👏👏👏👏👏

Andrés D'Andrea

P.S. is one supposed to be able to edit that shared mind map? I just confirmed that I can.

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Olaf Roeb
    Olaf Roeb EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 121 Star Contributor
    edited March 2023

Hi and thank you @Miša for choosing and describing this "MindMeister Keyboard ShortCut Learning Map" as an example for use of boundaries, happy to see you liked it. As usual, you described the purpose of the boundaries I used very clearly and got the intention to the point. Learning needs all three entities as part of a whole: Content, motivation, and process organization. But while orientation and consciously thinking about motivation usually take place outside/only at the beginning of the learning process itself, that process even with very limited content like keyboard shortcuts of a single app needs to focus over a longer time, once it started, potentially in several sessions over many days.

Using boundaries and free-floating main nodes served this purpose very well, the typical beautiful choice of theme-style of MindMeister helps to turn a boring topic into a comfortable and appealing use of time sessions to concentrate on the process and continue another day. I also tried to separate the three parts of the map by slight but recognizable changes in text-editing style and structure. The overall intention was to allow the brain to eagle-eye, identify the three-part structure immediately, find orientation within a split-second, then decide and (keep) focus on the Kanban organized Learning Process effortlessly.

@Andres D'Andrea : Thank you mate, yes this shared map is editable on purpose, so users can start, try first shortcuts, and dive in immediately without having to copy the map first. Using screenshots instead of typing came in nicely here because the screenshots cannot be changed accidentally. That said, I could choose that mode of sharing only here in the Meister Community or in a restricted project group, for obvious reasons, in other Forums or e.g. on LinkedIn I would certainly have to use a more restricted use of Meister Universe Mode of sharing.

Best, Olaf 😃

(Tipp for Mindmeister-Beginners: Use the map by combining focus-mode [CTRL + . ] and FullScreen: Windows [F11], memorized as a kind of passe-partout micro-workflow, it might serve to focus on other maps as well:

• step1: Open Map,
    • step2: [F11] → FullScreen
    • step3: [CTRL + . ] → MindMeister Focus Mode

)

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Hi @Andres D'Andrea, you're welcome!

No need to thank me @Olaf Roeb - I should be thanking you!

Thanks for the insightful explanation for why you used boundaries and floating topics in this way. It seems like the more I look at your map, the more value I realise it has.

Best,

Miša

P.S. I think Andrés meant to warn you that it is editable (not view only). You could also share the map as view only so visiting users don't move or delete anything by mistake.