How to enter a topic between two children?

henryh65
henryh65 EN Basic Posts: 2 Beginner
edited March 2023 in Ask the Community

I am new to creating mind maps. I have created the topic, and created subtopics afterwards. How would I insert a subtopic between a subtopic (or between two children topics?) I hope that I am making sense.

Best Answer

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @Steve Newcomb,

Okay, let me try again!

Does this look like what you're trying to do?

Best,

Miša

Answers

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader

Hi @henryh65 and welcome to the community 👋🙂

You're at the right place to ask this question, and you get of course some help here.

I first recommand to take a look at the keyboard shortcuts. It's easy to work with MindMeister and will become more and more intuitive for you. I promise 😉

Feel free to ask the community again, if there are any further questions.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• henryh65
    henryh65 EN Basic Posts: 2 Beginner

I am still not able to add a topic above the current topic even when I follow the instructions. I wish I never purchased this license.

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Hey @henryh65 and welcome. I'm sorry to hear you're facing difficulties!

Could you maybe share a screen recording of what's going on?

Best,

Miša

• Joerg Koper

If you want, you can invite one of us to your Mind Map, so we can have a closer look at it. You can of course create a fresh Mind Map and share the link instead.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

• Steve Newcomb
    Steve Newcomb EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner

I am also trying to insert a subtopic between 2 existing subtopics. Thanks.

• Miša Hennin

Hey @henryh65 and @Steve N,

Would something like this work for you?

To do this, I created a floating topic from the topic in the middle:

1. Right-click the topic you'd like to detach move (Or select it and click the ellipsis ...).
    2. Click the Layout icon.
    3. Click Detach topic.

And then I added connections between it and the other subtopics:

1. Right-click the topic you'd like to add a connection to (or left-click the topic and click the ellipsis ...).
    2. Click the Actions icon.
    3. Click Connection.
    4. Click one of the green plus signs around your topic to choose a connection point.
    5. Drag your connection line to the topic you'd like to connect to (no need to hold the mouse button down).
    6. Click one of the four connection points on the connecting topic.
    7. To move a connecting line, click and drag its middle point.

Let me know if this helps!

Best,

Miša

• Joerg Koper

@Miša Hennin

Hey Miša, that looks really nice 🙂

• Steve Newcomb

Thank you for answering. But I am not trying to connect, using your terminology.

As in the picture you sent, the top pink line shows

This is a topic leading —o-This is a subtopic.

I want: This is a topic-o-An inserted subtopic-o-This is a subtopic

I want to insert something between those two. I dont want to do a Connection.

Thank you

• Steve Newcomb

yes, that is it!

Thanks so much!

• Miša Hennin

No worries - I'm glad we got there!

• Илья Курылев
    Илья Курылев EN Basic Posts: 1 Beginner

This way forks fine for me, but unfortunately it is work only for mind map style and doesn't work for organigramma. Could you advice something about it? A bit tedious to switch between styles every time :)

• Miša Hennin

Hey @Илья Курылев,

The same should work with org charts.

For example, here I wanted to move Topic B to be between Topic A and Topic C:

Best,

Miša