People's thoughts on completing, archiving, and deleting tasks

Options
Nathanael Coyne
Nathanael Coyne EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 56 Star Contributor

I was susprised when I archived some tasks I no longer wanted to do and they were automatically marked as completed.

I've used Jira for about a decade and one of the main principles I've followed and taught when using Jira is never delete anything (unless it was created in error).

So I'm trying to reconcile how to abandon tasks with the functionality of MeisterTask.

I don't want to delete tasks that I no longer intend to do. I don't think marking tasks as completed while archiving them makes sense if I didn't do the work.

How do you feel about this? What would you like to see different?

Answers

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

Hi @NathanaelCBR — saw your question here and thought I'd jump in!

I think one of the main differences here might be in the "delete" functionality of MT vs. Jira — my understanding is that in Jira deleted tasks/issues are not recoverable? (I might be wrong though - I'm no Jira expert here so don't quote me 😁)

In MeisterTask, things work a bit differently — deleted tasks are still stored "within" the project they were located in, and can be restored indefinitely as long as the project that contains them isn't deleted. In MT the final, irrevocable deletion comes when a project is deleted, not a task.

In this sense, deleting tasks might actually work for your purposes as a way to abandon tasks, but I might have misunderstood — Would be happy to hear other users' comments on this!

Best,

Andrew