🏡 MeisterTask for Real Estate: Samuel Schlaepfer [Use Case Q&A]

Miša Hennin
Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin
edited November 2023 in Get Inspired

Hello and welcome to the March edition of our Use Case Q&A series!

In this series, we'll share real-life examples of how people use Meister products in a variety of industries - You'll find inspiration, tips and creative new ways to use our tools.

Today, we’re speaking with Samuel Schlaepfer (@Rooster McNugget) about how MeisterTask can be used by those working in real estate to bring organization and efficiency to the field of property management.

Ready to find out how MeisterTask can be used in real estate? Read on!

Got your own use case you'd love to share? Reach out to @Andrew Lapidus or @Miša!

MeisterTask for Real Estate: Samuel Schlaepfer [Use Case]

💡Samuel uses the Dark Reader extension to view MeisterTask in dark mode. Find out more here.💡

Hi Samuel, thanks for joining us today! Could you tell us a bit about yourself please?

Of course! I am a property manager and have been working in my family's small business for 16 years.

After finishing school, I completed an apprenticeship as an insurance salesman and then joined the Swiss Army for 14 months. I rose to the rank of sergeant and learned a lot about leadership - a skill central to my role today. When I left the army, I moved into the family business of real estate. I completed further training to become a property management clerk and later took a course in real estate management, receiving a federal certificate.

Today, I am responsible for the management (contracts, construction, repairs, rentals, marketing, etc.) of all our properties and three employees.

As head of contracting, leasing and property management, I can imagine you face many organizational challenges. Could you share some of these with us?

My daily goal is to work as efficiently as possible; I want to use little effort for maximum results. This goal itself creates many challenges, because it's difficult to track and maintain efficiency in all the diverse tasks and deadlines that make up my areas of responsibility.

In contract management, it is particularly important to meet every deadline, which adds further organizational pressures. Similarly, in construction/conversion, it is essential that every step is well-planned and constantly monitored, and that schedules are adhered to.

On top of all this, I have the mail, meetings, appointments and management of my team. In summary, my challenges center on planning, planning and planning so that I can keep on top of all of the above.

Before you came across MeisterTask, which solutions were you relying on to solve the challenge of perfect planning?

Before I found MeisterTask, I tried similar productivity programs like Trello, Evernote, Todoist, etc..., primarily working with Evernote and Todoist. I also wrote notes by hand (something I still do today, especially during meetings). I find I can remember things better when I write them by hand, so I use GoodNotes on my iPad.

When and how did you find MeisterTask?

With my love of efficiency, I enjoy searching the internet for ways to make the way I work better and more productive. About 2 years ago, I came across Lars Bobach who is very well-known in German-speaking Europe for his "focus in life" and "work-life balance". Around that time, he made a YouTube video about apps he liked to work with; these included Evernote, Todoist and MeisterTask. He was so enthusiastic about MeisterTask that I decided to download it and try it out. Since then, I have become a very enthusiastic user of the Meister Suite myself 😃!

What about MeisterTask appealed to you most in your search for a task/project management tool?

While trialing MeisterTask, I loved the tidy layout and the simple and intuitive operation of the software - I found my way around the interface very quickly. Additionally, I loved that I could create and manage projects not only for myself, but for my team. The fact that MeisterTask is available as an app on the iPhone/iPad also made my decision easier: The app is clearer than other similar apps and just as easy to use as the web version (for example, the layout of the app, size of the buttons and so on, is superior to other project management apps).

You mentioned in the Community that you use MindMeister for annual planning in your company. Is mind mapping a popular solution in the world of real estate?

I'm not sure whether mind mapping is popular in real estate, but I don't see why it shouldn't be! I first created a mind map for work 6 months ago when I saw other users’ MindMeister examples in the Community. That's when I first created a mind map guide for remodeling properties. I wrote down all the key points for remodeling so that I could use the mind map as a mental aid for all future construction projects.

My annual planner is the second mind map I created for work. This one serves as a guide for the projects I have planned in 2023.

I'd love to hear more about how you use MeisterTask for dealing with customer concerns. Could you expand?

As I have said, I try to work as efficiently as possible — which also means keeping things simple! Therefore, I keep tasks about customer concerns in my own projects: All information, files, etc. are stored within these until the task is completed, then I archive it.

In my left sidebar, I have 3 active projects for customer concerns:

1. A to-do list for smaller and more general concerns.
  2. A project for rental requests. In this project, I have one column for each uninhabited rental property in which I process all related customer requests. Each customer request is its own task.
  3. A project for small repairs. Here, I create one task per necessary repair. However, this only works if it is a small and simple repair with a maximum of 2-3 contractors. If the repair/renovation/new construction is larger, I create a separate project to ensure I have a better overview.

Which feature/ automation is most useful when planning new build projects in MeisterTask?

I have several favorites:

• I love the "due date" automation: with this, I don't have to remember all appointments because I get reminded of them automatically 😉.
  • Pinning tasks helps me to keep track of various deadlines and important points which still need clarifying.
  • The "recurring task" and "update status" automations make my workflow smoother. (By the way, I'd love a "remove pins" automation!)
  • The watcher function: I often use this when individual team members need to be informed about specific work steps but don't need to see the rest of the board.

You've mentioned that you recently started using MeisterNote, could you share an example of how you use MeisterNote at work?

MeisterNote is my digital notebook: I make notes during phone calls, prepare for meetings, write important information, and store links to interesting online articles. At the moment, I only use MeisterNote for myself (and for this interview! 😉)

Unfortunately, I can only use MeisterNote on a PC. I would love to use it on the iPad - It would be even cooler if I could then take notes with the Apple Pencil! 😄

Finally, how do you see your team using the Meister Suite in the future?

For now, I believe we will use the Meister Suite exactly as we are doing right now: Flexibly, whether on the app or in the web version, in the office, on the road, at a construction site, in a meeting or at home!

We are very satisfied with Meister, and we're happy with the great community that has emerged here with so many good tips and tricks.

Thanks so much Samuel, it's been wonderful hearing how Meister tools can be used in real estate. Are you happy for users to reach out to you with any questions?

Of course!

Comments

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

Thanks for this beautiful example on how to use the platform on the real estate industry.

Lots of valuable insights, I specially liked the idea of the "pin removing" automation.

Best regards and great start of the week 👋

Andres

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Channing Kelly
    Channing Kelly EN Business Posts: 59 Star Contributor

I use MeisterTask for my real estate sales business and it's been the best solution we've tried thus far. I have a buyer and seller leads board and then once they become a client I have a separate project for each purchase/listing transaction to track all the details.

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader

@Rooster McNugget

A very informative article and a well thought project board, Samuel. Thanks for the insights. Very impressive 😉

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Samuel Schläpfer
    Samuel Schläpfer MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 595 Community Leader

Hi guys,

thank you all for your kind words! 👍️

Have a great day!

Best, Samuel

The impossible does not exist! The solution has just not been found yet!

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Thanks so much for participating @Rooster McNugget - it was brilliant to get this insight.

@Channing Kelly I'm interested whether you saw any similarities between your and Samuel's experiences?

Best,

• Samuel Schläpfer

• Channing Kelly
    Channing Kelly EN Business Posts: 59 Star Contributor

Hi Misa, for some reason it's not letting me tag you . . .

Hard to know because his board is in german, but generally the property management space is very different than the purchase/sale space so not as much overlap as you might imagine.

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

@Channing Kelly try using the s letter with the special accent (caron) when tagging @Miša Hennin

The tagging feature here on the platform was updated recently and how it requires an exact match to pop up the suggestion.

It's been reported already, they're looking in to it.

Meanwhile, you can try copy/paste her name from the profile to tag her.

Best regards.

Andres.

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Lina
    Lina EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 22 Active Contributor

Hey @Rooster McNugget and @Miša Hennin, thanks for making this post. I love seeing how different people from different industries use the same tools to support their work. Really enlightening.

I wanted to ask you Samuel, how do you process rental requests within MeisterTask? I mean I guess you receive them elsewhere, then do you manually input them in MeisterTask or what's your process ? I wonder what is most efficient here.

Thanks again!

• Miša Hennin

Ah @Channing Kelly thanks for letting me know! I guess your boards would follow more the structure of some of the Sales templates we've posted then.

@Lina I'm glad you enjoyed! And good question 😁

• Cathy Fanning
    Cathy Fanning International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 160 Mastermind

Hi @Rooster McNugget Excellent interview, article and insight into how you use MeisterTask in your business. Valuable information in how different businesses not only use MeisterTask but how MeisterTask has streamlined their business processes and procedures. Thanks for sharing!

Regards

Cathy Fanning

www.thetemporaryalternative.com.au

• Miša Hennin

Glad it was valuable for you @Cathy Fanning!

Best,

• Samuel Schläpfer

I Hi @Lina

I'm glad you like the post and a good question.

We get about 90% of inquiries by email and the rest by phone call.
    After receiving the request by e-mail, I create a new task for MeisterTask directly in Outlook and add it directly to the "Project" in the "Incoming requests" column.
    If the request comes by phone, I create a new task in the same column "Incoming request".

Hope I could answer your question. 😉

Best, Samuel

• Samuel Schläpfer

Hi @Cathy Fanning,

thank you for the compliment. I also love it to hear from other users how they use MT.

Best, Samuel

• Samuel Schläpfer

True @Channing Kelly!

And the board I shared was from a construction project. So it's defenetly something different. 😉

Have a great day!

• CL Webb
    CL Webb EN Basic Posts: 33 Star Contributor

Thanks for the great case study @Rooster McNugget. I'm new to MT and this help me get my legs under me better!

CL Webb ?
    ———

• Samuel Schläpfer

Hi @CL Webb,

I'm glad you like it and hope you can use some of the boards which are posted from all great people here in the community for your inspiration and your own boards!

Best, Samuel