Using MindMeister with ChatGPT

Andrew Lapidus
Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
edited November 2023 in Tips and Templates

If you've spent any time on the internet the last few months, you know that everyone's talking about ChatGPT, the groundbreaking AI chatbot and language model from OpenAI.

Personally, I've been super fascinated with the tool ever since it launched at the end of November last year, especially its ability to so quickly generate such detailed and articulate responses to complicated questions.

I don't know if I've ever felt so aware of the impending "age of AI" that so many have predicted! 🤖

Yesterday, I got the idea to try and use ChatGPT to generate mind maps on various subjects, and was completely floored by its potential. With just a few clicks (and adding an image 😀), I was able to generate this mind map about the causes of the French Revolution:

Here's how I did it:

Step One:

I instructed ChatGPT to formulate its answer to my question in an outline that could be read by MindMeister. I entered the following prompt:

What were the major economic situations and events which caused the French Revolution?Please formulate your answer as an outline, use as many details as possible. The outline should have as many topics and subtopics as necessary to explain the answer and should use the following format:Outline TitleFirst TopicSubtopic 1DetailsMore DetailsSubtopic 2DetailsMore DetailsSubtopic 3DetailsMore DetailsSecond TopicSubtopic 1DetailsMore DetailsSubtopic 2DetailsMore DetailsSubtopic 3DetailsMore DetailsThird TopicSubtopic 1DetailsMore DetailsSubtopic 2DetailsMore DetailsSubtopic 3DetailsMore Details

Step 2: Copy/Paste into Outline Mode

I then received an answer in Chat GPT, which I copy/pasted into MindMeister's Outline Mode.

And here the paste:

Step 3: Format hierarchies with Tab and Shift+Tab (if necessary)

I did need to do some reformatting of the topics, using Tab to indicate each line's hierarchy: (You can also use shift + tab to move down a hierarchical level)

Step 4: Check out your mind map!

After the reformatting, I added an image and theme and found myself looking at a beautiful mind map which provided much more overview than a simple piece of text!

Of course, this is just a first attempt at experimenting with Meister tools and ChatGPT (or any other AI tool, for that matter), but it seems so clear that AI will be a huge player in our future, and I'd be very interested in other users' experiences with Meister tools and any other AI solutions! Let me know what you think in the comments 😊

Best,

Andrew

Comments

• Samuel Schläpfer
    Samuel Schläpfer MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 595 Community Leader

Hi @Andrew Lapidus ,

thank you so much for this great post!

I heard about this chatGPT in early January. However, haven't tried it out myself yet. 

However, my wife is already using the AI partially in the company where she works. As you said, the AI is amazingly good and very fast. It saves them a lot of time at work. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of automations and the AI that goes with them. Especially in technology.

However, I'm still not so sure about this ChatGPT. Generally with AI that basically takes simple things off our hands like writing a short post. I don't know if that's a good thing if we don't have to think about what and how to write anymore. Isn't the personal touch missing somehow?

And I always found it exciting to gather information about a certain topic myself. Even if it takes much longer. Because even when researching, you always learn something new.

But I have to admit, for students who have to do a lot of research, it's definitely helpful and you can get more done in less time.

But as I said, that's my personal opinion.

Best, Samuel

The impossible does not exist! The solution has just not been found yet!

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader

Man...you got me thrilled with this post 😅

That is exactly the kind of topics I love. Thanks for showing and explaining your steps. So inspirational, @Andrew Lapidus

...and I think, this will be my playground within the next few days 💪😎

I see...many people love to test the machine 😂

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

@Tatiana Torres you might be interested in this!

Best,

• Joerg Koper

I absolutely agree with your statement to the use of AI in the future, Andrew. As long as we human beings decide, what...when...how may be published, it's OK to make use of it.

As long as all humans agree with your point of view, all is well....but unfortunately, there are too many sick characters, that may misuse those developments for evil purposes. So, what we need too is a strict regulation.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Exactly @Jörg Koper - some element (i.e. decision making) should be reserved for the sentient beings!

• Andrew Lapidus
  • Monk1990
    Monk1990 EN Basic Posts: 2 Beginner

Great idea - happy to try this out!

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

Thanks for the step-by-step explanation on how to formulate the request and create the mind map from the results @Andrew Lapidus, mind blown 🤯

BTW, I recently read a book published by @Tatiana Torres about the implications of AI in the future of education. It might interest you folks. The copy I purchased was published in Spanish, but maybe she's got an English translation somewhere.

I've also seen acquaintances concerned about students faking expertise through extensive use of AI, and my take is that we should be excited instead of being concerned.

IMHO, expertise can't be faked.

I believe, AI could force improvement in two ways:

• Educators on one hand will have to excel at implementing thoughtful evaluation methods that prove real knowledge of the matter. AI will help them with that challenge; for example, it will be easier to create many evaluation scenarios for a group of students.
    • Students will have more resources at their disposal, but a greater demand to prove knowledge if good educators take their job seriously and apply what I described in the previous paragraph.

The same could apply to the professional realm.

Anybody could copy/paste a big deal from AI about their "knowledge" on whatever comes to mind, but they'll just make a fool of themselves the first time it comes to hit the field and put it into practice.

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Joerg Koper

Hi @Ps4andPbs 👋🙂

I totally agree with you. When a Mind Map is part of a creative process, there is no need to work with AI at all. In that case, it would destroy every individual thinking of a team and even the sense of a project itself.

On the other hand, I'm sure you'll agree that AI complements and supports us wonderfully in creating purely scientific and productive mind maps. Especially when a fast workflow is needed within short time, what very often is given in daily business processes 😉

Best, Jörg

• Beneanima
    Beneanima EN Basic Posts: 1 Beginner

Vielen Dank für diese hilfreiche Auflistung der Schritte

• Andrew Lapidus

Thanks for the feedback :D Would be very interesting to hear how ChatGPT is affecting your use of mind mapping as an instructor 😀 I've heard some "mixed reviews" from some of our community members involved in education!

• garland@captaintime.com
    garland@captaintime.com EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner

Thank you for such a brilliant example of how AI can be used in this manner. I have used AI to generate ideas, but hadn't thought of formatting it for creating mind maps.

• Tatiana Torres
    Tatiana Torres International Partner, EN Business Posts: 28 Star Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing this, I've been using outline mode and ChatGPT to create MindMaps, which works great! let me know if you need further assistance :)

• CL Webb
    CL Webb EN Basic Posts: 33 Star Contributor

Thanks so much @Andrew Lapidus …this will provide a great start in any research or delivery project.

CL Webb ?
    ———

• CL Webb
    CL Webb EN Basic Posts: 33 Star Contributor

I agree @Joerg Koper & @Ps4andPbs, this should be used just to start/suppliment the research and creative process, not BE the research and creative process.

CL Webb ?
    ———

• Beata Mertyn
    Beata Mertyn EN Basic Posts: 21 Star Contributor

o wow! I am really astonished that chatGPT can be used to help in creating the content of mind map. It could help us and Mindmeister users to fasten our job

• Andrew Lapidus
    edited April 2023

Super glad to hear about your positive experience, @Merbe!

Also completely agree @GGatin — since GPT 4 came out a few weeks ago, it's becoming clearer by the day that close integration with aritificial intelligence is "here to stay" and will become more and more routine and important in our work and professional lives.

Our MM Devs are currently testing an "AI Co-Pilot" integrated directly into MindMeister's UX — no update yet on a public release, but it's absolutely some exciting stuff!

• Andrew Lapidus

Great to hear! I can't guarantee that our product team will enable beta testing or early access to this feature, as at the moment it is purely experimental — but you and your team will be the first to know about any such opportunity 👍

(Also, any other interested folks can react to this comment 😀)

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

It's so cool to know that Meister is considering getting officially on the AI bandwagon with a ChatGPT integration. Thanks for sharing that tip @Andrew Lapidus 👍

I'm looking forward to beta-test those features as well when they are available.

Best regards.

Andres

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Joerg Koper

Wow, this conversation is definitely turning into my cup of tea 😊

If any assistance for testing the new ChatGPT features is needed…

…I'm here 😎

Best, Jörg

• Tatiana Torres
    Tatiana Torres International Partner, EN Business Posts: 28 Star Contributor
  • Channing Kelly
    Channing Kelly EN Business Posts: 59 Star Contributor

@Rooster McNugget I agree with you. I can ask for information, but how do I know it's accurate? That's my largest concern. There's no sourcing or documentation. So how do validate or document the information that is provided? And then, as AI generated content populates the web more and more, how do you avoid have what may be inaccurate information — presented well — becoming perceived as reliable source? Of course the latter issue has been a problem absent AI, but seems it could get worse.

• Miša Hennin

@Channing Kelly I really agree with you on this. Tools like ChatGPT appear so advanced that it's easy to blindly accept everything we're told.

I'm glad I finished school before this era of AI began! I find it hard to imagine how schools and universities are going to keep any control over this…