Why have I suddenly lost the ability to edit a map?

Kevin Bird
Kevin Bird EN Basic Posts: 7 Beginner
edited April 2023 in Ask the Community

Lost Edit access. I am administrator of a map. Have suddenly lost the ability to edit the map. Other maps can be edited, but not this specific one.

Best Answers

• Marlene Lechner
    Marlene Lechner Admin, MeisterLobster, DE Business Posts: 51 Success Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi @Milonnet Prisca, it sounds like your maps were converted to the new editor, because someone attempted to open a legacy map in the new editor. When this happens, a pop-up message, saying that the map will be permanently converted usually appears.

However, when opening the maps with the new editor, everyone with edit permission should still be able to edit the map.

Best,
    Marlene

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @tdejong,

This is because some of your mind maps have now been converted to the new editor. You will still be able to edit them in the new editor.

You can find more information here.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Miša

Answers

• CL Webb
    CL Webb EN Basic Posts: 33 Star Contributor
    edited April 2023

If someone else owns the map, it sounds like they have redesignated you to "read only". If this is not the case, then it's definitely a support question and they'll be back here in about 12 hours (I think) to help you.

CL Webb ?
    ———

• Kevin Bird

As I mentioned, I am the administrator of that map. I see someone else has similar issue ad has reported.

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader
    edited April 2023

Hi @Kevin Bird,

if you're using a browser, you may try to log out, delete the cache of your browser and then log in again and reload the mind map. Let me know if that helped 🤞

If the problem is still there, I'll inform the Meister-Team about the issue. You may take a look at this post too.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• CL Webb
    CL Webb EN Basic Posts: 33 Star Contributor

@Kevin Bird - I also know that in Note, if you're on the Basic plan, and you create a new Note beyond the number you're allowed on the Basic plan, then your oldest created Note becomes View Only. I wondering if MM is the same, and that might be the case here?

CL Webb ?
    ———

• Kevin Bird

Hi, CL Webb, According to my account details, I am on Personal plan, which should have 'unlimited maps'. Although I have accidentaly invoked the 'new editor' a while back, I was still able to use the 'legacy editor' on the same map, and all other maps. I have maybe 15 maps, all of them editable in the legacy editor except this one.

Thanks for your interest and assistance, but I think this is broken. Will now attempt to copy the map into a new map, and see where that gets me.

This process seems to have worked.

1 Open 'view only' map in New Editor (is editable)

2 Copy entire map and paste into an existing Legacy Editor map with functional Edit Access, and close the map.

3 Create new map in Legacy Editor (my personal preference)

4 Open Map edited at pos 2, cut and paste into New Map at pos. 3

Currently working AOK.

• Milonnet Prisca
    Milonnet Prisca EN Basic, International Partner Posts: 2 Beginner

Hi,

My colleagues and I face the same issue on our maps: we cannot edit some of them anymore. The problem occures since last week and it's touching more and more maps. I see that it was also an issue faced last week for some users:

It seemed revolved but it's happening for us now. What can we do to use our maps again ?

Thanks in advance

• Milonnet Prisca
    Milonnet Prisca EN Basic, International Partner Posts: 2 Beginner
    edited April 2023

Yes exactly ! Last week, we were also having problems with new editor but not anymore.

Prisca

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

@Kevin Bird May what @Marlene Lechner has described above have happened with the single map you now cannot use in legacy?

Best,

• Kevin Bird

Yes and no. I have described on a different thread that I managed to copy the entire contents of the deffective map, then paste to a new map, which I could then edit in legacy mode.

Yes, the map had previously been opened in 'New Editor' but I never have seen a pop-up that you describe. I suspect that has been added recently.

Other maps I have that have been earlier opened in 'New Editor' have continied to function in Legacy.

I very much dislike the New Editor, an I only renewed my subscription because I could revert to Legacy.

• Thomas De Jong
    Thomas De Jong EN Pro Posts: 7 Beginner

I am finding the same problem. Certain maps (of which I am the administrator) are no longer editable in the legacy editor. When I hover my mouse over the slides or task buttons in the bottom left-hand corner, a pop-up says "You are in view only mode". What is that? I've never had that issue before, and it only happens on certain maps…

• Thomas De Jong
    Thomas De Jong EN Pro Posts: 7 Beginner

I don't want to edit them in the new editor. The new editor is far less functional for our needs. I have hundreds of mind maps going back to 2015. I need the ability to set up my own slides for client presentations. The new editor takes away that ability. I'm a Pro user, but it looks like I'll be searching for a solution other than MindMeister.