[RESOLVED] Cannot use upper case letters in invitees' email addresses

Kit Johnson
Kit Johnson EN Pro Posts: 10 Beginner
edited April 2023 in Ask the Community

In a project meeting I showed a team of people from another organisation MeisterTask and they're all very eager to start using it to collaborate together. Now that it's time to actually add them to my project, I can't.

All of these users have got email addresses on a specific domain, and each time I try to add one I get this message:

One or more of the email addresses provided aren't valid or aren't allowed according to your team's invitation policy and will be ignored.

What am I supposed to do? I can't ask them to send me personal email addresses instead of their work ones - that would be very unprofessional.

This is a private project as it has nothing to do with my team. I'm on a Pro plan in case that's relevant.

The domain their email addresses are on is independentage.org

I'd appreciate help quickly as I'm supposed to be launching this project with them today.

Best Answer

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Kit Johnson - thanks for the information, and sorry to hear that MeisterTask didn't work out for this project. This error is most certainly a bug, and I've flagged it for our developers to address ASAP.

It might also be helpful to know that e-mail addresses are not case sensitive, so changing capital letters to lower case letters should not affect whether the user receives the invitation.

Best wishes for a great weekend,

Andrew

Answers

• Andrew Lapidus

HI @Kit Johnson - welcome to the community! I've got an idea of what might be the issue here:

Sounds like you might have some security settings enabled which are preventing you from sharing a project with users outside of your domain.

You can find more information about how to change this here, but I might first suggest the following:

1. Visit the team settings page (only available to team administrators).
    2. Select the Permissions tab.
    3. Scroll down to MeisterTask Restrictions and select Edit.
    4. Choose your preferred sharing options. You might either try selecting "Everybody" or simply adding the other team members' domain to your list of allowed domains.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Andrew

• Kit Johnson
    edited April 2023

Thanks for the quick response, Andrew. I've checked that setting and it's on "Everybody". I regularly invite other people to join my boards from external domains (mostly gmail.com domains) and have never seen this message before.

One more piece of information I've learned is that some of the people I need to invite are from a different external domain, a .com domain, and these are working fine. So someone@independentage.org doesn't work, but someone@wearekura.com does work.

• Kit Johnson

By the way, as I said I'm using a private board here, so I wouldn't have thought a "My Team" setting should make any difference.

• Andrew Lapidus

Hm - that indeed sounds quite strange — I haven't heard of this occuring before. Sorry for the headache. I've flagged our support team to take a closer look at what might be going on here. In the meantime, could you enable support access to your account and let me know (via DM) the name of the project that you're having this issue with? This can help our team get to the root of the problem quicker.

Could you also confirm that all users with the independentage.org domain are unable to be invited? Or just a select few?

Looking forward to your answer,

Andrew

• Kit Johnson

Thanks for that Andrew. I tested it with 4 different email addresses from independentage.org and it gave the same error for all of them.

• Kit Johnson
    edited April 2023

The domain was a red herring. The real cause was the capital letter in these email addresses.

To test this, try inviting hellokitty@example.com: no problem. Try helloKitty@example.com: error message.

While I understand the problem, this doesn't help solve it and so I was forced to switch to Trello for this project.

• Kit Johnson

Thanks Andrew for flagging this bug and suggesting a workaround (using lowercase).

• Andrew Lapidus

Hello Kit and anyone else that may find this thread — the MeisterTask team has now deployed a fix for this issue (capitalized letters in invitee e-mails causing an error).

Apologies again for the headache here and hope to see you again one day in MeisterTask, Kit!

Best,

Andrew