Feature Request - Automation: Pin to / Remove Pin

Tim Brandenburger
Tim Brandenburger EN Basic Posts: 8 Active Contributor

Add the ability to add a "Pin to" Agenda section thru automation.

CEO | Brandenburger Firmengruppe

23 votes

Open for voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Anthony S
    Anthony S EN Basic Posts: 1 New Here

Would like this feature

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader
    edited May 2023

Cool @Tim Brandenburger

I had the same thought yesterday, while working on one of my project boards 😅

Voted for your wonderful request too 👍️

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Samuel Schläpfer
    Samuel Schläpfer MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 595 Community Leader
    edited February 2023

I'm in! 🤙

And we also need the the "remove pin" function...

The impossible does not exist! The solution has just not been found yet!

• Samuel Schläpfer

Dear lovely Meister Team, could you please prior this feature request?

Would really like to have the

and

Thank yooouuuu!

Best, Samuel

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    edited March 2023

Merged these two requests in the title, @Rooster McNugget!

I'm very intrigued by this request — I've also felt the need for such an automation, since most of my time in MeisterTask is spent moving between between projects and my agenda. However, I'm imagining that Implementation would potentially be a bit difficult, as each user has their own unique agenda sections. Where would a task be pinned?

One potential option would be to have an automation “PIn to Focus” for a specific user? This would solve the issue of users' disparate agenda sections, but then this would mostly be the same function as the “assign to task” automation.

Hope that makes sense… I'd be curious to hear other thoughts!

Best,

Andrew

• Samuel Schläpfer

Hi @Andrew Lapidus

I do understand what you mean. In my view it would only needs an automation which set a pin to the taks. Mean you have a column “A”, “B” and “C”.

A = Priority low → no pin needed

B = Priority medium → needs to set a pin e.g. “Focus”

C = Priority high → needs to set a pin e.g. “hot task”

So if you have a task you need to focus at you should be able to switch them from column “A” to “B” or “C”. So if you put them to an other column the automation will set the pin you set in the automation settings. Like if you take a task and put it to a “done” column where the automation automatically “close” the task.

The 2nd thing is, when I have a pin on a task and I take it to the “completed/done” column it should complet the task (which is already possible) and should also remove the pin from the task.

In my view this are just two new automations that would need to be added.

Best, Samuel

• Tim Brandenburger
    Tim Brandenburger EN Basic Posts: 8 Active Contributor

@Andrew Lapidus, I understand. I mainly need it to get an overview over all my running tasks. So I would like to have the possibility to set the automation to pin a task to one of my pin sections (focus eg) when it's moved from one section to another and it's assigned to me.

I understand that automation is jet not able to do this because it is a personal action and automation is only about global actions, but it would greatly help with the biggest problem with MeisterTask!

The problem with MeisterTask is that you don't have an overview over all your running tasks, if you don't add them to the Focus Pin manually, what doesn't work when someone else "activates" a task by moving it from eg a "waiting", "idea" or "next" section to ab active section. The Agenda is a mess because it shows all assigned tasks, what doesn't help at all as long as not all task have due dates, what will never happen.

Talked to other users and they also search for other software because of this issue!

CEO | Brandenburger Firmengruppe

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Thanks for the very clear explanation @Rooster McNugget! Sort of sounds like a "personal" automation built around streamlining your agenda and personal prioritization, similar to what @Tim Brandenburger described. I like it 👍 And would definitely benefit from this personally.

I also get what you mean about the list of "assigned tasks" not being especially helpful in the agenda — I don't really use my Agenda in this way and actually have that column minimized (there's a button in the top-left corner of the Agenda to collapse this column).

I generally just use the FOCUS column for my personal to-dos and tasks which require immediate action, while using the rest of agenda to keep track of tasks from other departments/projects that I need to "keep an eye on" and maybe move to FOCUS when necessary. BUT, as you rightly point out, this worklow relies on manually adding pins. Thanks a ton to you both for the very insightful commentary — makes a lot of sense to me. I'll be sure to flag this for @Liis, our MeisterTask product lead.

Best,

Andrew

• Christos Savva
    Christos Savva EN Basic Posts: 1 New Here

Ohh yes please for God's sake get this feature in ASAP! It's so annoying.

I have my Agenda where I view all my tasks across projects for planning. When I do work on a project though I switch to that particular project. When I move tasks over to a Review column then things get unassigned/re-assigned from me and the task is marked as complete. The bloody pin, I have to remove it myself every time and it's so annoying. Please please please!!

• Chris Cunliffe
    Chris Cunliffe MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 65 Star Contributor

I definitely support the unpin requirement. I use Agenda as a start of day view, set up previous evening, as I find working within individual projects easier. So when I complete a task it would be great if the task was unpinned.

Pinning tasks can be quite subjective so not totally convinced on this part.

• Jeff Fairchild
    Jeff Fairchild EN Pro Posts: 6 Beginner

It's really hard to work on my agenda.

If i click on complete the task, I have to click on the task, then click complete, then drag to remove the pin, then go back to my project with the columns there, and then drag to done - all of that just to complete an item and move it to the correct column.

I would like to have a pin column on my agenda where i can drag a task there that I want to do tomorrow instead, but there's no automation that says if you move task to this pin then move task to a column of tasks. Please add pins into automations.

Also it would be nice to add tags to things to have them automatically move or do automations.

• Benjamin Rauch
    Benjamin Rauch DE Business Posts: 5 Beginner

The add and remove pin feature would be very helpful for us too! Thumbs up 👍️

• Tobi Jakob
    Tobi Jakob EN Pro Posts: 1 Beginner

This is definitely needed. It also makes sense from a product perspective. Since the Agenda View was added, the need for "add/remove pin automations" was there.

I do understand the challenge: Automations are happening on a global level, changing the task itself, while pins are per user. So the challenge is probably to extend the automation component with a layer which enables user-specific automations.

Still, I think this is a must-have to make the Agenda fully integrated.

If this feature request would be implemented, it would reeeaaally accelerate the power of the Agenda.

So, we would appreciate the effort!

Thank you,
    TJ

• Samuel Schläpfer

@Andrew Lapidus Just wanna ask you how the status is here… Any updates for us? 😊

Best, Rooster

• schmida0
    schmida0 DE Business Posts: 2 New Here

We definetely need the automated Pin feature and the corresponding automated unpinning!

Thanks for pushing it forward, it would enable som many more options to work with the agenda effectively!

Best, Annette

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin

Hi everyone 👋,

I just wanted to give an update, that this feature-request is still open for voting.

The Agenda is going to get an update though in the next weeks, more information is available below 👇

• Samuel Schläpfer

Is there any news about this? Can I look forward to use this feature in a few weeks? 😁😉

Best Rooster

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin

Hi @Rooster McNugget , thanks for the question. You can find all features that are on the roadmap here and here :) These categories are updated regularly, so a glance here once in a while is really insightful 💡

• Samuel Schläpfer

Thanks for your answer @Cornelia Patscheider and the hint.

And I can see in the post title too😉

• Marek Fodor
    Marek Fodor EN Pro Posts: 1 New Here

It's weird this wasn't in automations from beginning. Seems like quite frequent use case..