Why does the new editor slow down all browsers?

Michael Schwyn
Michael Schwyn DE Basic Posts: 5 Beginner
edited May 2023 in Ask the Community

I'm using the free version of MindMeister since several years and was extremely satisfied with the product.

Since this week, the old editor isn't available for working anymore. Using the new editor is barely possible, the smallest action takes ages to be completed. I get each time the browser alert that MindMeister is slowing down the browser.

I tried Edge (Version 113.0.1774.35 64-bit), Chrome (Version 113.0.5672.127 64-bit) and Firefox (Version 102.11.0esr 64-bit), all three have the same problem.

Any specific reason for this?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,343 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mike,

Sorry to hear this! There aren’t any browser-related issues but there are a few open performance issues for maps that were converted. I’ve just checked your account and you should still have access to the old editor. Check out this post to find out how:

I hope this helps a bit!

Best,

Misa

• Greg Ray
    Greg Ray EN Basic Posts: 11 Beginner
    Answer ✓

@Mike I would also suggest that you clear your browser's Mindmeister data storage/cookies. Sometimes this helps.

Answers

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business, EN Advocate Posts: 1,377 Community Leader

Hi @Mike and welcome to the community 👋🙂

I have informed the Meister team about your feedback, and I'm sure, they will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Michael Schwyn

@Greg Ray : Thanks for the hint. I configured my browser by default to empty data storage / cookies when I close the browser. This specifically to avoid such problems.

• Michael Schwyn

Thanks for the information. Problem I have is that since approx. 22.05.23, I only can read access my map with the old editor…

• Michael Schwyn

I might have found out where my performance problem with the new editor comes from.
    I was quite creative setting up my map in the old editor: loads of node designs, icons and emojis used ;-)
    Has someone an idea how I can clear all this configuration at once?

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

hmm - you could clear the icons etc. via select all (command/ctrl + A) and then editing/removing all the icons/emojis at once. Another solution could be to use copy/paste style to change all the styling to a specific design?

Let me know if this helps!

• Michael Schwyn

Thanks for the hint. I selected all and harmonized the design. Regarding the icons, unfortunately I cannot clear them. It seems that the new editor doesn't recognize old icons. I fear they're inserted as images, which could be another explanation of the slowness.
    Furthermore, I created a new map a copy small parts over from the old map. It worked quite well in the beginning. However, this morning, I copied a bigger junk over and now the new map slows down as well.
    ⇒ might there be a maximum limit of nodes in a map?

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Hm - there is a technical limit of nodes on a map, but it is around 10,000, so that likely isn't the culprit here.

I just did a bit of testing and found that the converted icons from the old version were just added as markdown emojis (e.g. ":smiley"), so I also don't imagine that this is the cause…

Sorry for the frustration here. I've reached out to our dev team for support. If you'd like, could you enable support access to your account and let me know via DM the name of the mind map in question? We can then take a closer look at this issue.

Thanks,

Andrew