🥇 Badge of the Month: Security Tips/ May

Options
Miša Hennin
Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,354 Community Admin
edited June 2023 in Community Café

Hey, badge enthusiasts!

Welcome to May's Badge of the Month! As part of our Rewards Program, Badge of the Month gives you an easy way to connect with others and earn a new badge. Your answers don't have to be Meister-related, we'd just like to hear from you 😃.

Want to know the rules? Check out this post.

Already know the rules? Read on to find out what this month is all about!

Badge of the Month: May 2023

May the 4th isn't just Star Wars Day, it's also World Password Day. On World Password Day, everybody is encouraged to consider the strength of their passwords and change any that might be vulnerable. This got me thinking about the issue of digital security more widely - An issue very important to us here at Meister 🔓.

This month, I invite you to share tips and tricks on how we can all improve our security and privacy in an increasingly digital world. How do you stay safe online and keep your data protected? You might recently have downloaded a security add-on, know great tips for strong passwords or have read an enlightening article... Please share your ideas in the comments below ⬇️.

Best,

Miša

Comments

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

Love the excellent suggestions above from @Andres D'Andrea! Before working at Meister, I definitely belonged to the group of "level 0" users who simply didn't consider security all that much. It's been an amazing experience to join the Meister culture, where security informs everything we do!

My tip is about being on guard against phishing - deceiving someone (usually by impersonating a colleague or friend) to divulge sensitive information.

As a well-known software company, employees at Meister receive such e-mails on a daily basis, but this is also becoming more and more relevant in our personal lives (especially as AI allows for even more advanced impersonations!)

Some quick tips for detecting fishing e-mails:

• You did not expect this email
    • The e-mail urges you to immediate action (panic, stress)
    • The email looks like it’s from a company or person you may trust: It could be from coworkers, partners, or friends
    • Despite being from a trusted colleague, the e-mail is not personalized, e.g. generic greeting, “Hi”.
    • The e-mail invites you to click on a link or download an attachment.

At Meister, we only communicate internally via Slack, so any e-mail from a colleague is generally immediately a red flag. Take a look at a couple of real examples we've received:

And another:

Examples like these can be kind of silly, but phishing is a serious cybercrime and is extremely dangerous, especially when it preys on vulnerable people.

Hope you all find these helpful! Looking forward to hearing more tips!

• Samuel Schläpfer
    Samuel Schläpfer MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 599 Community Leader
    Options

Well, unfortunately I'm not that good in this as @Andres D'Andrea and @Andrew Lapidus are. I use a analog paper and write down my password. This way I always have access to my password and nobody can hack a analog paper! 😜

Cheers volks and a great week! 🤙

The impossible does not exist! The solution has just not been found yet!

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 633 Community Admin
    Options

I love @Andres D'Andrea advice to use a password wallet! I started using one a few years ago, and it changed my way of picking and storing passwords sooo much 😍🔒!!

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,354 Community Admin
    Options

Hey!

@Andres D'Andrea Thank you for your insightful contribution. My favourite tip of yours is the password wallet. Before Meister, I had no idea what this was. Slowly, I'd like to move all my personal account passwords to the wallet as well. I also think 2FA is a great method of adding security BUT I have to admit, it really annoys me 😁. I don't like always having my phone with me or beside me which means I'm always having to run up or down stairs to find it when I'm asked for a code.

@Andrew Lapidus Also a good tip… I've definitely received a few of these 😅.

@DorianS Thanks for the link to the website!

One of my tips is similar to Dorian's. Dorian mentioned using a string of memorable words - Another way to make your passwords hard to guess is by choosing a sentence or phrase personal to you, and then creating a password just from the first letter of each word. For example, "I'm going to buy chocolate in the shop later" = Igtbcitsl. (Of course, with most password requirements now you'd have to add some numbers and/or symbols.)

Finally, I wanted to mention something topical (and much loved in our Community) - ChatGPT! At Meister, we had a meeting about the digital/data security concerns of using new AI tools. It goes without saying, we should all be careful when using these new toys 😅. Our legal team advised we never share personal or business information, especially information we don't want to become public.

Thanks for contributing! Hopefully, we can gather some more useful ideas 😎.

This discussion has been closed.