🤩 Template of the Month: Course Syllabus

Miša Hennin
Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin
edited November 2023 in Tips and Templates

Hey,

Happy World Teacher's Day 🥳!

Motivated to start fresh and keep your students on track this year 💪? Use our Course Syllabus template to organize your materials and share them with students. You can define and share your course structure - fill in all appropriate topics to give your students a syllabus and outline for your upcoming course.

Plus, you can keep a record of everything from attendance to reading lists to lesson schedules 📝 and keep the map up to date easily with due dates, changes, or documents for your students!

(Browse a wide range of different templates for different sectors on our website!)

Comments

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

@Tatiana Torres, @Rafael Martínez Campoblanco and @Emily thought you might be interested in this since you all have a background in teaching/ education! Let me know what you think, and please share your own suggestions if you have any ☺️.

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor

Thanks for the tag, @Miša. I've used mind maps as course syllabi before and embedded them into Blackboard. I love the floating topic to introduce myself to students in this one. Great idea!

• Tatiana Torres
    Tatiana Torres International Partner, EN Business Posts: 28 Star Contributor

Yes love the structure, also the idea to add dates and drive documents, so students can get access to an all in one solution.

• Rafael Martínez Campoblanco
    Rafael Martínez Campoblanco International Partner, EN Business Posts: 10 Active Contributor

Hello @Miša, I really like the template. I would add an "Evaluation" section and within it the types and rubrics as the case may be. Also a section on "Methodology" because it is good that a Syllabus contemplates the explanation of the learning experience. Everything is great!

• Miša Hennin

Hey @Rafael Martínez Campoblanco! How would the 'Evaluation' section you'd add differ from the 'Evaluation + Grading' topic above? What specifically would you find valuable to add? And I love the idea of a 'Methodology' section. I feel like this would add transparency between student and teacher, and help build trust.

• Rafael Martínez Campoblanco
    Rafael Martínez Campoblanco International Partner, EN Business Posts: 10 Active Contributor

HI @Miša Thank you for your comment... I hope to add!

Evaluation is much more than qualification. It has to do with the accompaniment by the tutor, establishing clear rules and often with feedback processes that are not carried out on virtual platforms or in the classroom. Now, the qualification is the act of assigning an alpha-numeric value to the result of a previously learned action or product. The qualification is part of the evaluation. I believe that the rubrics are very important because they make the rules very clear from the beginning and everyone has the ability to know if what they are submitting to be graded meets the criteria that are set out.

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Thanks fo the insight @Rafael Martínez Campoblanco ! When I taught foreign languages, we used department-wide language assessment criteria divided into seven different learning goals (e.g. writing, speaking, listening, reading, culture, etc.) which were then further divided into different grades, and what is expected at each level.

I found that this information was much more digestible for my students as a mind map - rather than an extremely dense list on several pages, being able to simply collapse/expand each branch made both the overview and details accessible!