Is it possible to import files over 200MB in size?

MarceloCareiro
MarceloCareiro EN Basic Posts: 4 Beginner
edited October 2022 in Ask the Community

Hello community, I have a problem and I would be very grateful for your help.

I have a .mind file on my desktop that is over 200MB in size (208MB to be exact) but the site only allows exporting files up to 200MB.

Does anyone know of any other way to get this done?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @MarceloCareiro, I just had a conversation with our developers and I'm sorry to say that there is no way to bypass the 200MB limit when importing a .mind file, as this limit is hard coded.

There are definitely several things the map owner could do (e.g. duplicate and split the map, share the map via e-mail for you to duplicate), but without the map owner's explicit permission to share the data, there isn't anything we can do on our end.

I'm sorry for the frustration - I pointed out to our developers that it's quite misleading to be able to export a large map without being notified that it can't be imported anymore. They will work on a solution, and I'll keep you updated here!

-Andrew

Answers

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Hi @MarceloCareiro , welcome to the community! 👋

There is no way to directly bypass the 200MB limit when importing a mind map, but you can get around this by replacing some of of the attachments on your mind map with a link to Google Drive (or some other storage service).

The actual "mind map" information requires very little storage space, but any attachments you've uploaded to the map will be added to your export. Since your map is 200MB, I'm guessing you've attached some larger files/video? I attach a lot of videos to Mind Maps and just paste links to the file in Google Drive - the file remains visible in the map and I can quickly jump to it, just as if it was added to the map. Let me know if this helps!

• MarceloCareiro

Hi @Andrew Lapidus, thanks for the reply!

The problem is that unfortunately I don't have direct access to the mind map to be able to make this edit. I only have the file, I downloaded it from a training I was doing, I am not the owner of the map.

So I would like to know if there is any way to at least reduce its size so that I can import it to my workspace.

Or if there is some other way and import that allows more than 200MB...

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor

Is it a MindMeister mind map? The easiest way around this would be to contact the user who owns the map and just have them share it with you via e-mail! But I'm guessing you don't have contact with the owner anymore?

@Andrew Lapidus I'd also be interested if it's possible to edit the .mind file to remove the attachments without actually opening it.

• MarceloCareiro

Hi @Emily,

That's right, it's MindMeister's mind map. And yes I don't have contact with the owner anymore unfortunately.

• MarceloCareiro

Hello @Andrew Lapidus

A pity, but even so, I wrote down the tips you gave on how to reduce the size of the maps, if I am the owner.

So, thank you very much for the tips and the effort to try to solve my problem.

I managed to get in touch with the owner of the map, and I believe it will now work.

If necessary, I will ask the community for help again. 👍🏻