How can I make a due date dependent on another task's completion?

ako.birinci
ako.birinci EN Basic Posts: 2 Beginner
edited October 2022 in Ask the Community

Hi, I want to create a task for which the due date depends on another tasks completion. Like 'Start the decoration' task should start in 2 days after the completion/due date of 'Get decoration permit' task. So if I put the due date of 'Get decoration permit' task to 02.12.2022 I want the 'Start the decoration' task's due date to be automatically 04.12.2022. So if I move the date of one the other one automatically changes.. Is that possible? Thank you

Best Answer

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @ako.birinci , welcome to the community! 😀

There is currently no way to have two separate tasks with due dates dependant on one another, although I definitely understand your use case here. It reminds me of @Til 's request for an "if-then" automation within MeisterTask, and would make for a great feature request!

BUT - I think you could also accomplish the same thing with a typical Kanban workflow: You could, for example, create a single, overarching task (e.g. "Party Decorations") which is moved between sections from left to right on the board. In one of these sections (moving for example from the "collect materials" section to the "implementation" section), you could add the "update due date" automation to automatically adjust the current due date of the task to 2 days after the task is moved from "collect materials" - giving you two days to get decorations done.

If you're using a static board, you could also express this as a single task with several checklist items: I know @Andres D'Andrea had an excellent method of updating due dates for checklist items in this thread.

I also wanted to flag @Jörg Koper , who seems to be our resident automation wizard... Maybe you have some insights? :D

Hope this helps @ako.birinci ... let me know whether that would work for you!

Answers

• ako.birinci
    ako.birinci EN Basic Posts: 2 Beginner

Thank you for the detailed info.. I will look into these options and see how it can be applied to our project. Also I need to figure out how to do all these automations you mentioned.. I am sure there is a video guide to go thru on the site👍

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader
    edited October 2022

Hi @ako.birinci

of course there is a Video about automations and a very good dokumentation as well 😉

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

1000x this! Bravo @Jörg Koper , always appreciate your insight! 🙇

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader

Always a pleasure @Andrew Lapidus 😊

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.