💡Feature Request: Tables in MeisterNote

Andrew Lapidus
Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

One of our most requested features in MeisterNote is the ability to add tables to notes. 📑

It is currently possible to add an external table by embedding a google sheet (find out more here), the MeisterNote team has already added a "tables" content block to its product roadmap.

Tagged:
42 votes

Open for voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Dessy Prasad
    Dessy Prasad EN Business Posts: 69 Star Contributor
    edited August 2022

This is an awesome feature! Thank you.

• Robert Marx
    Robert Marx DE Basic Posts: 6 Beginner

I really need them, too!

Go Go Go! 😁👍

• Amit Yadava
    Amit Yadava DE Business Posts: 11 Beginner

This feature is the most important one to be implemented soon!

Please!

• Olaf Roeb
    Olaf Roeb EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 121 Star Contributor

Tables should be rewarded for being one of the most typical and productive structured types of data organization ever, and a library of Notes should be able to carry data assemblies in all typical types. I personally wouldn't need any ability to calculate and use functions in MeisterNote, but storing and editing data would be great.

• Angelika
    Angelika EN Basic Posts: 11 Active Contributor

@Olaf Roeb absolutely agree! I wouldn't need all the functions that excel or sheets offer. I'd just like to use tables to structure information in a different way

• Amit Yadava
    edited December 2022

Dear Meister-Group! :)

it was announced that Tables would be integrated in Q4 2022. Is this goal still up-to-date?

• Andrew Lapidus

Hi @Amit - thanks for bringing this to our attention! Unfortunately, tables in MeisterNote have been somewhat delayed, as the team devoted more resources to external sharing and making significant changes to the overall interface. Tables remain on our roadmap - I'll keep you and other updated in this thread.

Best,

Andrew

• Amit Yadava

Thank you @Andrew Lapidus for your reply. I am very excited about the table-feature.

• Henrik Thomä
    Henrik Thomä DE Pro Posts: 10 Beginner

Must Have.

• Jonathan Stephens
    Jonathan Stephens EN Basic Posts: 1 Beginner

Basically, a way to input simple tabular data so page can be laid out.

I'm currently developing an internal knowledge base for the company and have multiple instances where a simple table would help out a lot.

Use Cases

• Creating a contact list for a company or its suppliers
    • Creating a list of services provided
    • Creating a "Paid Holidays" table that provides the Day's Name, the explicit date, and how many hours that converts to
    • Simple product/inventory lists
    • …likely more

Feature Implementation

• Goal: Ability to create a simple table (not database)
      • First: a block that has rows and columns, where new rows/columns could be added.
      • Second: able to color the backgrounds of individual or groups of rows/columns, for making headers/stylized rows/columns
      • Third: Header that could sort alphabetically and numerically; one column sorts whole table…nothing more advanced than that

• Amit Yadava

As long as there are no tables implemented in MeisterNote, this tool is useless for our daily work in
    DLR (German Aerospace Center). Therefore we strongly recommend to implement this feature as soon as possible. 🤔

• Jerry Garden
    Jerry Garden MT Tester, DE Pro Posts: 14 Active Contributor
    edited July 2023

Hey, i opened up an Own Request too because i couldn´t see any existing ones but thanks to @Miša Hennin for telling me about it 😋 So i just copy´N´paste what i said in my Thread:

Due to this limitation, I had to resort to copying the table into
    Google Sheets first and then embedding it into my note. However,
    embedding the table presents the following issues [for me] :

• I'm unable to search for content within the table either within the note or on the page.
    • The size of the embedded table is not adjustable, whether in terms of positioning (left, right) or height.
    • [In the embedded Sheets window, there is no search functionality. It would
      be great to have a dedicated search within the embedded window if its
      possible.]
    • Another Issue for me is that when I paste an Excel table using copy
      & paste, it automatically creates an embedded image instead of
      inserting the copied table itself or at least just the Text.

Hope we can work something out that makes everyone a bit more efficient and happy when we talk about Tables in MeisterNote😜

Enjoy your Day & Week!

Best regards,
    Jerry

• Robert Marx
    Robert Marx DE Basic Posts: 6 Beginner

Im already in here since October 2022 , but unfortunately nothing happend here since then. :-(

Can someone please give an update and do some lobby-work for our table-interest? 😉😋

Can´t imagine it´s such a big thing to implement tables in the running system…but I also have no experiences with programming and so on. 😅

However, thanks in advance and hopefully see you soon in the pro version with tables,

Robert 😘

• Alias4611
    Alias4611 DE Pro Posts: 12 Beginner

Same here. If you want to stay competitive to Notions e.g., a table is the least that should be able to be used. MeisterTask Pro is rather expensive and should provide a lot more tools as Notion does. Love MeisterTask, but it´s sad that there isn´t even a table integrated into MeisterNotes.

• Henrik Thomä
    Henrik Thomä DE Pro Posts: 10 Beginner

Me too. And I think the table should have the feature to filter content. Not just a simple table.

• Dessy Prasad

Hi @Andrew Lapidus - Is there a timeline on the tables now that the external sharing has been rolled out?

• Andrew Lapidus

Hi all -

Just spoke with the product team and can share a transparent update: right now, the team is focusing on shipping the new MeisterNote AI feature and updating the Task←→Note integration to work more effectively in both directions (both shipping soon).

In the background, the team is working on updating the (unseen) backend engineering of the editor (finish by Q4) which will allow the easy creation of additional block types, including collapsible headers and tables. Work will start on these in Q1.

Happy to answer additional questions!

Andrew

• Chris Cunliffe
    Chris Cunliffe MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 65 Star Contributor

Hi @Andrew Lapidus
    Thanks for the update Andrew. The Tables function would be a great addition, I am currently doing a discovery for a client and building a lot of analysis tables which I want to capture directly in MN and not using embedded Google Sheets and it is a chore, so the sooner the better for me :)

Regards, Chris

•  Erik Bachmann
    Erik Bachmann EN Basic Posts: 1 New Here

Will tables be available in MeisterTask as well? Like the implementation in Github

• Dessy Prasad

@Andrew Lapidus Is there an ETA on when tables will be rolled out? This is a much anticipated feature within our firm due to some structures we are trying to create.

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin

Hi @Dessy Prasad ,

at the moment the feature idea tables is still open for voting. At the moment this idea is not on the roadmap, but I will update this thread as soon as we see any changes.

You can also keep track if any of the ideas open for voting are on the roadmap, by looking into the next stages, whether our team is evaluating an idea or if the idea is already under production. I linked the respective categories, you can see which features are coming in those categories.

Nevertheless, just to be sure, I will let me colleagues know that the interest in this is huge and steadily rising. Is there any specific use case for which you would like to use table Dessy?

• Dessy Prasad

Thanks @Cornelia Patscheider. Yes, there is. We are trying to make a directory of contacts, and with the current view, it just doesn't look good enough. We are having to go through other 3rd party platforms to build this out in the meantime. It seems like a very basic feature that I think MeisterNote should definitely have. I appreciate you helping to move this up.

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin

Thanks for the Feedback @Dessy Prasad ! I will definitely forward this use case internally.

I know that the team is currently working on improving Notes and its editor in the background, so that creating the feature idea tables will be possible to develop in the future. So we are currently in the stages of laying the necessary groundwork.

• Zach Alexander
    Zach Alexander EN Business Posts: 2 Beginner

Please bring this ability to MeisterNote! For me personally, this is the only feature I can't find an equivalent for converting from Microsoft OneNote. I am having an impossible time as many of my notes contain tables that reference data or compare information or even just list things horizontally and there is no equivalent in MeisterNote.

Tables allow the organization of information in many useful forms, such as a side-by-side comparison of data contained in a chart or graph. This base HTML function of columns and rows does not exist in MeisterNote and it is constantly problematic for me.