More Robust Search in MeisterNote

Options
Bart Verheecke
Bart Verheecke EN Business Posts: 34 Star Contributor

The search function is too basic at the moment. Imagine you have five notes with the same title in different workspaces. The search function will list all of them, without any context so it's impossible to make a distinction between them. The context should be displayed in the search results.

Worse, if you include the title of a top note to your keyword search (to narrow the results down), no results are returned. As apparently, the search function does not include the bread crumb or title from the notes above. Including those would improve search a lot!

Another issue is that if you have multiple notes, let's say meeting minutes, with the date in the title, then the search function should return the most recent or most recently edited one. Now, it returns all of them in a completely random order and you need to hunt for the one with the most recent date yourself.

6 votes

Open for voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,349 Community Admin
    Options

Hi Bart and welcome to the Community!

Thanks for sharing your ideas for an improved search function - We've got great news! We agree that the search function is currently lacking and improvements are coming in the next release. Your feedback will be super valuable to us, so please feel free to share your thoughts again once we've released the improved search function. This way, we can keep working on it and implement the things that are still missing.

Thank you!

• Emily
    Emily EN Pro Posts: 132 Star Contributor
    Options

I'm really pleased to hear about improvements coming! I'm using MeisterNote for teaching and I have so many notes for different classes. They can be quite difficult to search for, so I really know what you mean @Bart. Looking forward to seeing the new release @Miša!

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Bart and @Emily - the team has just released a first phase of improvements to MeisterNote's search feature. This release doesn't yet address all of the issues you mentioned, @Bart , but I hope that it can address at least a few.

This release made a significant update to our search algorithm - it should be much better at finding exact and partial matches of your search term. Crucially, the algorithm should get better with usage, placing more relevant notes higher on your list.

The new search interface also displays the titles of notes and sub-notes differently, hopefully making it easier to differentiate between them and understand which note you're working in. I'd be interested to hear if this helped your issue, @Bart. It's not the primary focus of this update - but hopefully this provides your searches with more context?

Another update to MeisterNote's search function should appear within a few weeks, so we'd love to hear your feedback on this one!

Best,

Andrew

• Chris Cunliffe
    Chris Cunliffe MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 65 Star Contributor
    Options

Hi,
    Also, when searching a large note for keywords it would be good for the actual Note to be highlighted where the search items are found or to be able to select one and be taken to that item of text in the note itself.

Chris

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,349 Community Admin
    Options

Hey @Chris C - I absolutely agree!! I always struggle with this.

• Stefan Konopatzki
    Stefan Konopatzki EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner
    edited May 2023
    Options

Sorry wrong Meister-Tool