Possibility to display archived or deleted tasks within the board

Tiago Bravo
Tiago Bravo EN Business Posts: 10 Beginner

I realize that it is very unpleasant when I try to locate an archived task that no longer appears on the board, I need to go to a specific place and do a specific search, and often I would like to see which activities have been archived in a certain column and I can't. .

I would like there to be an option to click and the archived tasks would simply appear visually in the corresponding columns, it could even have a different look to the active tasks, but at least it would be easier to manage.

2 votes

Open for voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,018 Community Admin

Hi @Tiago Bravo ,

thanks for the feature idea! Could you explain more in detail why you archive tasks even though you would like them to stay on the board? Could you solve the problem by just completing them, but not archiving them? I would love to understand the workflow better.

Personally, I have a column with all completed tasks on the right-hand side of my board. I imagine that you also want to have something like that.

• Tiago Bravo

I actually tend to use a column on the right for completed tasks.

So we probably wouldn't need to archive tasks to disappear from our field of vision, and that would be a good solutions, we complete tasks within the in-progress columns and archive them so they don't mix with active tasks.

So whatever the case of visual pollution, we end up completing and archiving the tasks to get out of sight.

The problem comes later when we need to retrieve some information from a task that has already been completed and archived.
    It's really bad having to do this research.

If there was an option in the box of:

• Turn on and off the view of completed tasks
    • Turn the line on and off over completed tasks, replacing it with an alternative way to highlight that the task was completed without compromising its readability.

So we probably wouldn't need to archive tasks to disappear from our field of vision, and that would be a good solution.

In any case, having to search for archived tasks instead of being able to see them in a complete list that I can browse through is uncomfortable, I know that a window opens in the middle of the screen to be able to locate them, but I don't find it an intuitive experience . Because many times we want information about a task that we don't remember exactly the title of, so I would like to browse through all the archived tasks and locate the one I wanted, and in many cases I remember where the task was located, the column, but I don't remember the title at the moment.

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,018 Community Admin
    edited August 6

Hi @Tiago Bravo ,

thanks for explaining your use case in detail. Here are some ideas and workarounds how you could achieve some things already:

• "Turn on and off the view of the completed tasks": If all tasks are in a column, then you can collapse and expand the column, so that it's view of the completed tasks is available or collapsed.
    • "Turn the line on and off over completed tasks, replacing it with an alternative way to highlight that the task was completed without compromising its readability": I would recommend selecting the complete button for all tasks that are completed. At the moment a completed task is highlighted already with a green color, an additional header+icon+title. Additionally, you could add a tag "completed" if you wish, so you can filter it out of your view by using the filtering option in the right sidebar.

Alternatively you could also make a extra column, call it archived tasks, and keep that column collapsed as a standard. Or you can make an extra project and move all tasks there, so you can easily browse them

• Tiago Bravo

I actually tend to use a column on the right for completed tasks.

But in some cases my screen becomes polluted with many crossed-out tasks.

On some more complex boards with more columns, we complete tasks within the in-progress columns and archive them so they don't mix with active tasks.

So whatever the case of visual pollution, we end up completing and archiving the tasks to get out of sight.

The problem comes later when we need to retrieve some information from a task that has already been completed and archived.

It's really bad having to do this research.

If there was an option in the box of:

• Turn on and off the view of completed tasks
    • Turn the line on and off over completed tasks, replacing it with an alternative way to highlight that the task was completed without compromising its readability.

So we probably wouldn't need to archive tasks to disappear from our field of vision, and that would be a good solution.