Floating Topic Key Shortcut

Options

Please set up a way to do a floating topic creation key. Since a new child topic is Insert, could you make it Shift-Insert? Thank you!

4 votes

Open for voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Nathanael Coyne
    Nathanael Coyne EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 56 Star Contributor
    Options

Please also consider how a child node can be orphaned to become a floating topic, detatching itself and all its children nodes from the parent. At the moment floating topics can only be created from scratch.

• Nathanael Coyne
    Nathanael Coyne EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 56 Star Contributor
    Options

Please disregard my previous post, I just discovered the Detach Topic feature!

• SambearPoet
    SambearPoet EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner
    Options

@NathanaelCBR I'm going to go look that one up

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin
    Options

Hello to you both! Really love this suggestion - take my upvote.

As you pointed out @NathanaelCBR, it's possible to detach topics via the formatting toolbar as well as create detached topics from scratch via a right click:

BUT as you can see from this GIF, it requires a bit of an awkward clickthrough journey do either of these actions. I agree that a hotkey is a very logical addition 👍

Quick question from our product team I'll place to you @SambearPoet and anyone else interested: where do you imagine the detached topic (created via hotkey) from appearing? In the same place an attached topic would have appeared? (e.g. as though shift had not been held) Hope that question makes sense! 🙈

Best,

Andrew

• SambearPoet
    SambearPoet EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner
    Options

It could be random or it could follow a clock-based algorithm where the first one starts at 12:00 above the cursor and then as you continue to click more they continue to one, two, three Etc a clock so that it's a radial effect. But even if it was just a random placement or a placement where it normally would have gone that's fine