Add ability to link between nodes in the same map

Dorian Cussen
Dorian Cussen EN Basic Posts: 5 Beginner

I absolutely love mindmeister and have used extensively for over 10 years. The one feature I really miss is being able to link between nodes on different branches.

I find I often have two children in different branches for which I want to link one to another as one may contain lots of descriptive detail which I don't want to repeat.

The only options available at present are:

1. The "connection" option, which draws a line between two nodes in different branches, which will not be visible unless the linked-to node is expanded/visible itself
2. The "copy link" option, which works but will open a new mindmap for every navigation performed using this link, which is not ideal.

Being able to link to another node in the same map without opening a new browser tab every time you click on the link would be very useful to me, as of course much knowledge and relationships between concepts will have links between the branches that may exist in a traditional mindmap.

If you have ever worked with graph representations of knowledge it more closely represents how we link knowledge in our mind, i.e. you have first-class cross branch connections. Mindmaps are great but they are missing this additional dimension, which I think would be relatively easy to add a simple version of. A simple link would just open up the node its linked to within the same mindmap without reloading the whole browser tab / opening a new tab.

4 votes

Open for voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,469 Community Leader

Hi @Dorian Cussen 👋🙂

Interesting approach. Would the option "Open links in same window" be sufficient here?

Your request has been published in the MeisterTask area. I will ask the team to push it into the right direction 😉

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Dorian Cussen

Hi @Joerg Koper , thanks for the reply and forwarding the request.

> Would the option "Open links in same window" be sufficient here?

I can't find that option, can you point me to where that functionality is please.

Many thanks

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,469 Community Leader

Sorry for the confusion. I only wanted to know if a feature like I mentioned would be enough for your requirements. In this case, I can imagine that it would be a manageable project for the developers. 🤞

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Dorian Cussen

Thanks for the explanation.

To answer that question, fundamentally if clicking a node which had a link to another node in the same map just moved the map so the linked node was now in focus then that would satisfy my request in a simple way yes.