MindMeister updates: map out your ideas even faster

13»

Comments

• Karl Ortenburg
    Karl Ortenburg DE Basic Posts: 6 Beginner

Hey Mark, for your next update: If you post a list of changes or an explanatory video with it, I believe you may be able to avoid a lot of user frustration and save yourself a bunch of time. Thanks for your support anyway.

• Gui. C.
    Gui. C. EN Basic Posts: 9 Beginner

that is GREAT NEWS Mark.

I am sorry for all that pressure but Mind Meister is really important and that specific functionality is gold. Cannot replace it!

Thank you and share my appreciation with the rest of the team.

• Gui. C.
    Gui. C. EN Basic Posts: 9 Beginner

IT IS BACK GUYS!!!! 😁 THANK YOU MM TEAM. MUCH APPRECIATED.

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,001 Community Admin
    edited October 11

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a couple of updates from the MindMeister team that I think you’ll be excited about, especially since these came out of the suggestions many of you have made right here.

1. We brought back mixed layouts: You told us how much you missed combining Org Charts with Lists, so it's back! However, we are still very conscious that mixed layouts often led to overlapping elements in the past, so we are trying to find a good solution that offers flexibility but also avoids overlapping topics. If there are other layout combinations you find helpful, just let me know in the comments. I’m here to collect your thoughts and pass them on to the MindMeister team.
    2. Task assignment and due dates are visible again in tasks: We’ve returned to showing who’s assigned to what and the due dates on tasks in MindMeister. This should make it easier to keep track of everything.

We’re always trying to make MindMeister work better for you, so don’t hesitate to test these updates and share how they’re working out. And if you have more ideas, feel free to post them below.

• theo west
    theo west EN Basic Posts: 25 Active Contributor

Org chart list layout issue: Unable to apply to multiple nodes!

Appears to be a regression. Please fix ASAP.

Warm regards

• Tatsuhito Koya
    Tatsuhito Koya EN Pro Posts: 15 Active Contributor

I still like see a way to make the toolbar less intrusive.

Here's an example why. Suppose a mind map looks like this:

When I click Sub-Topic 3, the map looks like this.

Topic and Sub-Topic 2 are hidden from the view. This interrupts my concentration when I'm brainstorming. I have to conciously click outside of the topic to hide the toolbar.

My suggestion is when the focus mode (Ctrl+.) is on, the toolbar is toggled (show/hide) by clicking a three-dot button, as shown below.

• Mark Mosher
    Mark Mosher EN Pro Posts: 12 Active Contributor
    edited October 15

SITUATION: When you select an item from Options interface on a node when a node is near the Top, Left, or Right, the resultant dialog box is occluded by the browser frame. Tested in Safari and Chrome.

PROBLEM:

1. 🖱️This introduces the need to CONSTANTLY reposition the map and relaunch the dialog to make room for the dialog box, especially when using Mindmeister on a laptop.. Sometimes I find I haven't moved it enough and have to reposition again. This adds SOOOOO many MORE CLICKS, and EXTRA MOUSING / TRACK PADDING .
    2. 😵‍💫 Drives me crazy and takes me out of the flow
    3. 🤕 Aggravates my Repetitive Stress Injury

CRITICALITY:
    HIGH
    . This is a near show stopper for me as it makes the product nearly unusable when working with anything more than the most basic small mind map on a laptop. Not so great with large maps on a big monitor either. It also reduces accessibility to those with RSI.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:

1. If you detect the node is near an edge and dialogs will be occluded, present the dialog box to the other side of the node without occluding the node.
    2. Add additional back ability to launch options box back in the right-side control to operate on the node in focus.

Mark Mosher
    Boulder, CO, USA
    - Sr. Manager Global IT : Web Technologies & Citizen Dev Power User Guidance at Arrow Electronics
    - Composer, Electronic Musician & Multimedia Artist: https://markmoshermusic.com
    - Event Producer & Founder of the Rocky Mountain Synthesizer Meet: https://rockymountainsynth.com

• Nima Shokouhfar
    Nima Shokouhfar EN Basic Posts: 16 Beginner

Hi,

I’m having an issue with the pop-up window as well. The problem occurs when you zoom in too much—the pop-up window goes off the screen. Sometimes, it plays hide-and-seek with you! You move up to see the full pop-up menu, and when you close and reopen it, it pops up underneath, forcing you to move down this time.

I wouldn’t say it makes the product unusable, but it’s definitely very annoying.

Haha...

• Mark Mosher

Wow, look how far down I have to scroll the map to get the "Add Custom Colors" dialog. In this case I had to slide down twice. Once to get to the "Topic Style" Dialog, then again because the next dialog popped up even higher.

Mark Mosher
    Boulder, CO, USA
    - Sr. Manager Global IT : Web Technologies & Citizen Dev Power User Guidance at Arrow Electronics
    - Composer, Electronic Musician & Multimedia Artist: https://markmoshermusic.com
    - Event Producer & Founder of the Rocky Mountain Synthesizer Meet: https://rockymountainsynth.com

• Nima Shokouhfar

Hi Mark,

I know, I’m facing the same issue. However, I believe this isn’t something new; previous versions seem to have had this issue as well.

• Mark Mosher

That toolbar was introduced in late September I think. I realize they did a point release to bring some functionality back, but I assume this alignment issues has been there since late Sept. I didn't bump into because I was using Legacy again after all the changes.

Either way, it's a taxing user experience.

Mark Mosher
    Boulder, CO, USA

• Nima Shokouhfar

Hi @Mark Mosher,

Oh, I see. To be honest, I’ve had issues with that pop-up window for as long as I can remember. However, the ones you mentioned might be new—I’ve lost track at this point.

That said, other software like Photoshop, SolidWorks, Autodesk, etc., handle these situations using sidebar tabs, making them more predictable to control and render. Additionally, they don’t obstruct the view, unlike the case that @Tatsuhito Koya shared earlier.

Besides, sidebar tabs offer much more advanced control. With a pop-up menu, you are more restricted. How many buttons can you fit into that thing before customers like me start complaining that it’s too complicated and obstructing my view?

By no means am I suggesting switching to sidebar menus; I’m just sharing how others have solved similar issues in this thread.

As a senior software engineer, I believe that pop-ups are something that makes people excited to open their wallet, but they are a nightmare for developers to improve and maintain. Features like this can break every time there’s a major UI upgrade.

To be honest, I’m very happy that I’m not the one responsible for maintaining it—it’s definitely not fun to manage.