🥇 Badge of the Month: Productivity Tools/ February

Miša Hennin
Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin
edited March 2023 in Community Café

Hey,

With January drawing to a close, it's time for the next Badge of the Month. As part of our Rewards Program, Badge of the Month gives you an easy way to join in and connect with others, and earn a new badge! Your answers don't have to be Meister-related, we'd just like to hear from you 😃.

Want to know the rules? Check out this post.

Already know the rules? Read on to find out what this month is all about!

Badge of the Month: February 2023

However much you may cringe at the teddy bears and chocolates of Valentine's Day, February is undeniably the ❤️ month of love ❤️ and, like other badges, this badge will be seasonal.

To earn this badge, tell us about a productivity tool you love, a tool for which you care above all others, a tool with which you're a match made in heaven 👩‍❤️‍👨.

I can't wait to read!

Best,

Miša

Comments

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

TL;DR --> #TheLinuxTerminalForTheWin!

However much you may cringe at the teddy bears and chocolates of Valentine's Day, February is undeniably the ❤️ month of love ❤️

☝ that was hilarious @Miša, you made my day!

I enjoy reading what other fellows use to drive their productivity, and I believe this BOTM thread will be fascinating to follow (bookmarked already).

• SINA: Impressive stuff @Jörg Koper, let me know when you implement an affiliate system to sell it in this side of the world 💵💵💵👍
    • @channing, I can feel the pain. I'm challenged with the same issue, and my best strategy so far has been using filters; however, it's good to know there's an alternative. Thanks for that!
    • @Rooster McNugget I too agree with you and Jörg about the role of our mind. It's so precious, we must take care of it and cultivated it since it's the main productivity tool we'll always have.

In my case, maybe I could spend hours talking about so many productivity tools I've known through the years and those that I use today, but the mother of them all is:

The Linux Terminal

To put it simple; my professional career is divided in two major parts: before and after the Linux terminal.

The amount of productivity applications, and open-source solutions one can implement locally or in the cloud using just a command line interface is really hard to put into words.

For example, in the Linux terminal you have sed and grep, two command line utilities used to manipulate text and search text data inside the file system, respectively.

Then you have the pipes (|) that allow you to chain the output of several command line utilities like sed and grep, for example.

Then you have the concept of regular expressions which act (in colloquial terms) like some kind of spells you cast to match certain text criteria for the commands you write.

Those are only 4 concepts one could spend a lifetime learning to master:

Use them together, and you'll know what is a powerful computer experience, for real. You'll find yourself doing stuff that you couldn't even imagine before.

Most interestingly is how those tools and methodologies are still relevant today, considering they date back to the '70s...

I wasn't even born when people were doing the stuff I described above.

Best regards.

Andrés D'Andrea.

Follow me on LinkedIn and:

BSF.company - Digital Solutions For Your Business.

Technopreneuring.Com - Optimize Resources. Maximize Results.

GestionOperativa.Com - Optimiza Recursos. Maximiza Resultados.

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader

Hi @Rooster McNugget and thanks mate 👋🙂

I like the way you think about tools Samuel. Keep it simple is the best way to stay independent in the personal workflow. And I do absolutely agree to your statement related to the Programmes of Meister.

Have a wonderful weekend

Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Joerg Koper

Hi @Andres D'Andrea 👋🙂

I din't program SINA as a stand-alone software Andrés. But I was able to combine different cloudbased software programmes in a logical way (the good old "if - then - or - else" workflows) to work hand in hand in predefined steps. Triggered by related requests, SINA is doing a lot of cool things for us....including to react with voice messages to our clients 😊

I love the way you explained your Life as a Linux-Crack...I see your'e "nerdish by nature" too 😄

Thanks for sharing your way of thinking. Very sympathetic.

Best, Jörg

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

• Admin BSF.company
    Admin BSF.company International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 487 Community Leader

Triggered by related requests, SINA is doing a lot of cool things for us....including to react with voice messages to our clients 😊"

Automation is the way to go, mate! You got it ✅

"your Life as a Linux-Crack"

I wish that would be true... too much to learn yet 🙄🙂

I see your'e "nerdish by nature" too 😄

Proudly, this has been a konstant (with K 😉) my whole life.

Happy weekend @Jörg Koper 👍

• Andrew Lapidus
    Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

Wow, super excited about this thread! I've just started a free trial of Postbox myself, @channing - I'm always looking for new ways of organizing the emails, requests, notifications, meeting requests etc. which pile up my inbox every day! Bookmarking from my side as well.

For me, when it comes to apps that have significantly improved both my professional and personal life, I have to first think about the Waking Up app - I know it might seem a bit corny and "trendy" to recommend a Meditation app these days, (I can imagine @Jörg Koper, our resident accomplished mediator who's got so many years of experience sitting and learning from masters, might find the apps a bit silly 😊) but I simply can't ignore how much the app has changed my life!

I'm personally a bit prone to overuse of the kind of apps that have thrived in the modern attention economy (Twitter has been the death of my productivity and sanity 😁), so it has been life-changing to have an app on my phone which seems to work as an antidote to the others - instead of being endlessly pulled back and forth between senseless push notifications, the app contains a ton of vital lessons about the value undistracted deep work and mindful living.

On the more prosaic side of things, I'm an extreme fan of Slack. In fact, it's become so ubiquitous in my working life that I often forget how excellent it is: it just simply works so well that it kind of disappears into the background! And as remarked before, the ability to quickly send task-oriented messages into MeisterTask has streamlined my workflow like crazy!

Would also be interested to hear what insight you might have @Cathy Fanning as to your favorite tools these days! 😀

Best,

Andrew

• Joerg Koper

@Andrew Lapidus

Hey Andrew,

The App "Wake Up" is absolutely interesting and seems to offer a lot of nice features. When I started meditating, we did not have those Apps...oh...we didn't even have smartphones at all 😅

So, in my opinion it's absolutely OK to use these Apps. That's a big advantage of the "digital transformation" 😉

Best, Jörg

• Cathy Fanning
    Cathy Fanning International Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 160 Mastermind

Hi @Andrew Lapidus & @Miša Great idea(s) to mention and feature a favourite app.

There are so many out there that it's hard to pick but here goes. For all the Google Apps users both business and personal is https://www.kiwiforgmail.com/ Handles multiple accounts, direct access to google apps, google drive and works very well on both windows and mac desktops.

In equal place would be Outlook, web or desktop versions. If your a Microsoft nut like me it will be your best friend.

I tend to be a little old fashioned when it comes to ideas, notes etc... I always have a pen and paper handy to note anything down that comes to mind.

Love the mention of chocolate for Valentines Day. Any excuse for chocolate. 😀

Regards

Cathy Fanning

www.thetemporaryalternative.com.au

• Samuel Schläpfer
    Samuel Schläpfer MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 595 Community Leader

I would love to have something like Canva in MindMeister... 😏

The impossible does not exist! The solution has just not been found yet!

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin

uhhh, what an idea @Rooster McNugget 😍. If you add it to the feature ideas, then you totally have my vote!

• Samuel Schläpfer
    Samuel Schläpfer MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 595 Community Leader

The impossible does not exist! The solution has just not been found yet!

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Hey!

Thank you all for sharing your favourite productivity tools - It has been inspiring to read them all. I will definitely be trying the Waking Up app @Andrew Lapidus!

I've also been looking for a specific kind of app and maybe someone here can help me. I'd like to have a habit tracking app to help me build better routines, e.g. an automatic list of things I'd like to do each morning (stretch, take vitamins, read 5 pages of my book) where I tick off the item when I've completed it. But I'd also like to be able to share my list with my boyfriend and he shares his with me so we can both be more motivated to do the things we've said we're going to start doing. Any experience with something like this?

• Miša Hennin

Hi @Rvitaris what a cool tool! Thanks for sharing the example too - I'm always panicking in queues at the last minute trying to find my ticket/ confirmation for something 😅.

Best,

• Eva-Maria Schützeneder
    Eva-Maria Schützeneder EN Basic, MeisterLobster Posts: 6 Product Marketing Manager - MeisterNote
    edited February 2023

Hi everyone! :)

A tool that is super simple but saves me some minutes at the beginning of my work day is toby. It helps organize my browser tabs and lets me access them all in just one click.

You will likely want to access the same 5 - 7 tabs each and every day, such as your emails, calendar, MeisterNote, MeisterTask, MindMeister, .. 😉 and this app just saves me those few minutes that I can use to get my first coffee of the day (maybe my second). 😁

• Channing Kelly
    Channing Kelly EN Business Posts: 59 Star Contributor

@Miša you might consider Done (https://thedoneapp.com/). Not sure about the sharing aspect however.

• Miša Hennin

Thanks @channing I'll take a look at it. Another I found is called Habit Share which sounds like it should be what I'm after 😀, but I'm not yet sure how well it works.

@Eva-Maria Schützeneder that's such a cool idea! I definitely have the same tabs open every day so this would save me returning manually to all these pages each morning.

• Admin BSF.company

Hello @Miša according to your description, HabitShare by Luke Bickston, available on iOS and Android.

Great app with all the basics you need and a little more:

• Add Friends (even anonymous ones)
    • Internal Messaging system.

It seems you already found it 👍

However, I have an additional recommendation that also has social components, called Habitica.

There's one column in Habitica named "Dailies". The example below shows a couple of daily habits:

• Check Linux Servers: routine maintenance of infrastructure with all mandatory stuff that should be done.
    • Proficiency: list of available activities for daily practice with the goal of getting proficient at them.

As you can see, in Habitica, not only you have checkboxes to check for the habits you performed during the day, but also you have them to keep track in case the habit you're trying to build is complex.

Great for habit stacking as well.

Available on iOS and Android.

Wish you success with your habit building journey @Miša.

Best regards.

Andrés D'Andrea

• Miša Hennin
    edited February 2023

Hey @Andres D'Andrea thanks for your input! I took a longer look at HabitShare yesterday and I think this is what I'm looking for. Today is the first day of my new habits though so we'll see how it works in practice 😅.

Habitica looks good too - Have you tried the 'share' function on it? How does it work? Can you see the boxes of your 'friends' or what? If you've not tried it out don't worry.

I think @Olaf Roeb also has some good insights on habit management 👀 👀.

Thank you!

Best,

Miša

• Admin BSF.company

Congrats for the journey @Miša! Enjoy it 👍

I'm surely interested in what @Olaf Roeb could add to this conversation in terms of habit management.

Have you got some tools or habit building strategies that worked wonders for you, my friend?

Best regards.

This discussion has been closed.