How many nodes can MindMeister support?

Options
Michael Oh
Michael Oh EN Basic Posts: 6 New Here

I have a mind map that I’m using to map out key points in what is essentially a text book. It’s been very helpful to be able to see/summarize contents easily and be able to get a visual image of it. Also has been helpful to see relationships to other information in the book.

Recent challenge is that the app is now becoming very slow. I’ve collapsed all the “chapters” and only show the current chapter I’m working on, but it is still slow. I can type something and then just sit back and watch the characters show up on the screen one by one. I think I am reaching some sort of limitation - perhaps memory space used by all the nodes or something like that. Was curious if anyone else has run into something like this?

Answers

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,396 Community Admin
    edited April 9
    Options

Hey Michael!

The new MindMeister supports fewer nodes/ topics than the old version. A safe cut number of nodes is 500-600. 700 topics might still be usable on certain machines.

Performance also depends on your hardware and how many tabs you have open.

How many topics do you have?

Is your internet connection strong and stable?

Perhaps you could try some standard troubleshooting to speed things along (log out, log back in, clear cookies + cache, if you're using the app, making sure it's up to date. Checking your browser is updated).

Best,

• Michael Oh
    Options

Thanks Miša!! My internet connection is very good, not a problem with it at all. Over 100Mbps connection over fiber. I’ve tried the usual types of things as you suggested, including clearing cookies and cache. App is up-to-date as well. Tried using a browser on a different computer than I usually use. Am able to open the map, but when I go to add a new node and start typing, it immediately goes into a character by character typing mode that takes forever.

Would you mind if I shared the map with you if you can see something I can do to make it better? I’m sure I haven’t reached 10,000 nodes. Is that what you mean by topics? Main branches is less than 20, but there are hundreds of nodes.

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,396 Community Admin
    Options

Hey Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me and trying the troubleshooting I suggested.

Sounds super strange!

Does it happen on all maps or just one?

Could you tell me the name of the map you're having issues with and enable support access to your account?

A screen recording with the console log/ network tab opened would also be a great aid.

Best,

• Michael Oh
    Options

Sure! Thanks so much!

I’ve enabled support access to my account. The map is named “Revelation Grand Climax” and is a mind map of a book that I’m reading/studying.

I can do a screen recording, but I’m not sure what the console log/network tab is? Do you mean the browser tools?

• Miša Hennin
    edited March 14
    Options

Thanks Michael,

I've created a request for devs to investigate this. I'll update you here with what they say.

Thank you for your patience!

Best,

• Michael Oh
    Options

Just checking to see if there any updates? Thanks!

• Miša Hennin
    Options

Hi @Michael Oh,

We recently deployed a range of performance-related improvements. Could you confirm whether you're still facing this issue?

Best,

• Michael Oh
    Options

It’s marginally better, but still pauses between letters as you type. Very annoying. Really not very usable.

• Miša Hennin
    Options

Hey Michael,

I'm afraid I have some bad news!

I made a mistake in my initial reply about how many nodes MindMeister supports. The new MindMeister supports fewer nodes/ topics than the old version. A safe cut number of nodes is 500-600. 700 topics might still be usable on certain machines.

Performance also depends on your hardware and how many tabs you have open.

I hope this gives some resolution as to why performance is slow.

I'm sorry for my mistake + lack of clarity!

Best,