Changes not being saved to a duplicated mindmap

Options
Abhijay Gupta
Abhijay Gupta EN Basic Posts: 3 Beginner

Hi there!

There was a mindmap that I wanted to build upon. Since it had view-only permissions, I duplicated it to my account. When I opened this duplicated mindmap, I was able to make edits to it. However, when I closed the page or went back to the My Maps section or refreshed the page, my changes were lost on this duplicated mindmap.

Also, this duplicated mindmap would then show permissions of view-only on the My Maps page - same as the original (even though when I'm IN the map, it allows me to make edits).

I lost a bunch of my changes as a result of this.. Presumably, duplicating a view-only mindmap should allow us to make edits to it and then retain those changes.

Is there something that I'm missing here to make this work? Does the original mindmap need to grant edit permissions to others (that feels like it defeats the purpose of keeping it as someone's property though). Please advise on how to proceed since I tried this a few times and each time my changes were wiped out after coming back to the duplicated mindmap.

Thanks

Abhijay

Tagged:

Answers

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,396 Community Admin
    Options

Hi!

This sounds strange.

Please try some standard troubleshooting:

1. Clear cookies + cache
    2. Make sure browser/ app are up to date
    3. Log out and back in
    4. Test in Incognito mode

If the problem persists, please let me know:

1. Does this occur with every map?
    2. Please enable support access

Best,

• Abhijay Gupta
    Options

Hi @Miša Hennin

Thank you so much for your swift reply, I really appreciate it! I received your response today but I was able to solve the issue in.. sort of an interesting way yesterday.

The account I was copying the mind map from was a personal account. I was copying the map to a mindmeister account associated with my corporate account. The editing and saving of changes was failing for the duplicate when I gave the corp-associated account (CAA) only viewing permissions on the original.

Since I control both accounts though, I then decided to give the corp-associated account 'Edit' permissions on the original. Once I did that, I duplicated the original and then my edits were being saved on the duplicate version!

After that, I removed the CAA from the original mind map to test if making edits to the duplicate would still work. And it did! I can continue to make edits to the duplicate after severing the link of the CAA with the original mind map.

So… it looks like things are working for now. I don't know if the issue will reoccur though so we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I'd still suggest taking this back to the team and asking them to test out different scenarios and settings to see if there's a particular configuration that happens to fail.

In my case, I got lucky since I have access to both accounts. But it might not be the case in other situations if somebody else owns the original mind map.

Let me know your thoughts and once again, thank you so much for reaching out so swiftly!

Best,

Abhijay

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,396 Community Admin
    Options

Hey Abhijay!

I'm so glad you managed to solve it on your own. I thought it must be some strange incident like the one you've described when I first read your question 🤣. Good on you for figuring it out!

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Have a great weekend!

Best,

• Abhijay Gupta
    Options

Hi @Miša Hennin

Thanks so much! Hahah yeah, I managed to figure it out somehow! Have a great weekend as well :) Excited to build on my map now!

Best,

Abhijay