Duplicating project with subtasks

Options
hans.spindler@dachdeckerei-spindler.de
hans.spindler@dachdeckerei-spindler.de DE Free Trial Posts: 3 New Here
edited November 2023 in Ask the Community

I would like to use a project as a template. However, when I copy a project, the subtasks detach from the project and appear as independent tasks. what am I doing wrong?

Best Answer

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 657 Community Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @hans.spindler@dachdeckerei-spindler.de and @Channing Kelly ,

unfortunately, sub-tasks are currently transformed into normal tasks when the project is duplicated. The Meister team has been made aware of this situation and is currently looking into a way how to solve this issue.

I am sorry for your troubles, I can very much relate.

Answers

• Channing Kelly
    Channing Kelly EN Business Posts: 59 Star Contributor
    edited November 2023
    Options

I just came here to report the same! Ack! I just revamped my entire template to use subtasks but there appears to be no way to reattach the subtasks to the primary task. :(

• Channing Kelly
    Channing Kelly EN Business Posts: 59 Star Contributor
    Options

@Cornelia Patscheider thanks for the update. Sadly not having subtasks stay linked upon duplication effectively renders them useless for me as my work is the same project over and over again for different properties. Even if there was a way to later link a parent task — effectively the reverse of the "detach" option currently in a subtask — that would at least make it palatable even though there would still be some manual linking required. Because my tasks all have multiple item checklists the alternative of manually recreating the subtasks on each project is super tedious. Lesson learned is to duplicate my template before making changes! 😥

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 657 Community Admin
    Options

oh no, that sounds like a pain!

I know from firsthand experience that I would love to attach sometimes task as subtasks as well, so I can feel your struggle!

• Laura Vecera
    Laura Vecera DE Business Posts: 1 Beginner
    Options

@Cornelia Patscheider @Jonathan Badiane
    This is a big pain for my team and me, too.
    Is there already a timeline for this update? Or does it need to be voted for?

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Options

Hi @Laura Vecera ,

a feature request would be great! Especially with a lot of votes, we can show how much this feature is wanted!

What is already under development is the ability to add existing tasks as subtasks. This would at least be a good work-around, because it would give us the ability to attach tasks again as subtasks after they have been rudely split by the copying function. This might be get released at the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Options

Hi all,

good news, the feature to add existing tasks as subtasks is now available. You can read more about that below.

Nevertheless, this doesn't solve the problem, that subtasks get detached when the project is duplicated. Feel free to upvote this in our feature request section below: