[DELIVERED] 💡Feature Request: Custom Themes in the New Editor

Andrew Lapidus
Andrew Lapidus Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business Posts: 1,007 Community Admin

One of our most requested features for the new editor is reintroducing customizable and saveable themes for your mind maps: selecting individual options such as topic background color, line color, and more.

The MM team is super welcoming of feedback as they begin designing and implementing the feature - please feel free to detail your specific use case to help us make sure that custom themes in the new editor fits your team's needs 😀

Best,

Andrew

Tagged:
25 votes

Delivered! · Last Updated

Comments

• Oliver Wich
    Oliver Wich DACH Partner, MT Tester, EN Business Posts: 80 Star Contributor

We definately need custom fields and formating which can be saved like in the old editor.

And maybe the combination.

I created custom themes with custom fields and formating included and provide them to my team / customers. They can use the template customize it themselfes and use it.😍😍😍

Uspkilling Enthusiast. Empowering a new Generation of Legal Experts.

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Hey @Oliver Wich thanks for your input - I'll be sure to pass it on.

Quick question - Could you explain what you mean by custom themes with custom fields? Maybe you have a screenshot example you could share to help us visualize exactly what you mean?

Looking forward to hearing!

Best,

Miša

• Oliver Wich

I mean custom "topics" ;) I have been talking with @Eva Schindler a lot about it the last 12 months 😋

• JoiedeVivre
    JoiedeVivre EN Basic Posts: 65 Star Contributor

I never used the old editor but this is great! I finally understand what is meant by custom themes now😂

• Holger Matthies
    Holger Matthies EN Basic Posts: 4 Beginner

I wanted to provide some more details, of why "more depth" is required.

This is a mind map I created (back in university) using MindManager. I use "Progressive summarization" and use the same colors of text markers when studying.

In Mind Meister, anything but the most basic map currently looks like so. I would need to invest a lot of time in formatting every single branch (especially as "format painting" is missing) when I really need only organic, default formatting that radiates out from the center and gets smaller and smaller. Like a mind map is supposed to :-)

Again, as you implement "Custom themes", PLEASE don't just implement one or two levels, that would not help. Instead, solve the problem for everyone, permanently.

I can't find a screenshot of MindManager (they call it "Modify Style View" I think). Here is how SimpleMind does it. The key is being able to define 1-n styles and not be limited to 2:

• Oliver Wich
    edited October 2022

And please don't forget that the Admin of a Team can provide custom templates and topics AND the users can also build their own in addition.

In the old Version, we provided Themes and Custom Topics, so the Users didn't have to create them theirselves.

But the custom Topics that Users created by their own and saved them were visible for EVERYONE. 🙀

So after a few weeks there were like 100+ Custom Topics and it was a total chaos.

Long-Words Short:

We can provide Customs which can be used by everyone and the user can create and save their own, which other users don't see 😍

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORTS!🙏

• italofaguiar
    italofaguiar EN Basic Posts: 1 Beginner

I totally agree! We need be able to create mindmaps with decrasing size/font for inner subtopics! Awesome idea!

• Nathanael Coyne
    Nathanael Coyne EN Basic, MT Tester Posts: 56 Star Contributor

Has the theme editor been implemented yet? I just upgraded from Personal to Pro because I thought I read somewhere that that would unlock theme customisation for me but I can't find it?

• Miša Hennin
    Miša Hennin Admin, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 1,307 Community Admin

Hi @NathanaelCBR,

I'm afraid that custom themes have not yet been implemented - We will update the Community here as soon as they are. Do you have any idea where you read that this would be the case?

Best,

Miša

• Andrew Lapidus

Hi all - just a short update on this feature: Custom themes remains a planned feature on our roadmap, but we don't yet have a concrete release date.

I'll keep this thread updated with more information as it's available!

Best,

Andrew

• Holger Matthies
    Holger Matthies EN Basic Posts: 4 Beginner
    edited March 2023

That's disappointing. I don't know how you guys can use the product yourselves this way.

I bought a subscription but stopped using it. It's too finicky for anything but "cute" mindmaps, like the simple ones on the homepage.

• David Allen Arnn
    David Allen Arnn EN Basic Posts: 2 New Here

yes! Need the old deal where you can pick a color, border etc and save the style for future use on other board items.

• Greg Ray
    Greg Ray EN Basic Posts: 11 Beginner
    edited May 2023

My Custom Theme Use Case:

All I have needed this for is to build two custom map themes — one to establish as my default theme, and the other for print-ready (which just drops out the eye-saving background tinting).

As an EDU customer it was essential that I be able to specify that my default theme be the default for my students (i.e., my team).

Comment:

I want to echo a remark made by Holger above who said the new editor with its current fixed themes is "too finicky for anything but 'cute' mindmaps". He is right. None of the fixed options provided is suitable for me for serious work. It is a sadly common failing of mindmap applications to focus on juvenile-looking maps. (And please, multicolored, swoopy connectors are just a non-starter.)

Which is to say that one of the reasons that I need customizable themes is so that I can make a default map that is suitable for serious work — a map that looks suitably sober and whose elements don't draw undue attention to themselves for no good reason. What I care about in maps is content and connectedness.

• Greg Ray
    Greg Ray EN Basic Posts: 11 Beginner

I see that the array of fixed themes has changed (and matured) since I last checked them out. So, my comment about 'cute' mindmaps no long seems entirely apt.

Still and all, I am very glad that my default map theme created back in legacy times is still in operation as my default!

• Andrew Lapidus

Glad to hear that you've appreciated the changes, Greg. Rest assured there are currently no plans to sunset the previous editor for paid legacy users. In the meantime, our team still plans to implement custom themes on the new editor.

Best wishes for a great weekend,

Andrew

• PC/CCTV Eiei
    PC/CCTV Eiei DE Business Posts: 2 Beginner

Hey there!
    Just wanted to comment in order to express that our company is really looking forward to this feature :)
    Are there already any updates on when it will come this year?

• Jamila Wurie
    Jamila Wurie EN Basic Posts: 1 Beginner

Hi I'm excited that you guys are working on this! I would like to add that it does say when you upgrade to edu prop that you'll get more customisation, the only reason I upgraded in the first place. Would really love if this would be possible soon because it's kind of a hassle right now to change every individual cell. For example you can't even set a default font for the whole map when it's not in line with the standard theme or a background color at all.

• Miša Hennin

Hi @Jamila, and welcome to the community. You're absolutely right - I'm so sorry about that and thanks for letting us know.

I've passed this on to our Product Marketing Manager and it will be changed.

Thanks for sharing the screenshots!

Best,

• Andrew Lapidus

No concrete updates yet — but will certainly keep this thread updated as soon as I have more information!

Best,

Andrew

• Mikhail
    Mikhail EN Basic Posts: 1 New Here

Custom themes would be great - looking forward to return this feature back!

• See Branch
    See Branch EN Basic Posts: 4 Beginner
    How to smart tint of all children topics fill color the same as level 1 in 'Fireworks' theme?

Overarching need: more easily separate information visually using color fill, but with the benefits of smart tint automation and not manually customized and fixed.

Very happy to provide more feedback or be part of any feature testing, willing to help in any way.

Example:

Goal: In Fireworks Theme, Branch A = red, Branch B = blue. I want all topics of any level in Branch A = red fill, and respectively blue for Branch B. If I move a 3rd level topic from Branch A (which is now filled red), anywhere in Branch B, the fill changes to blue.

Current State: Branch A level 1 = red fill, levels 2+ = transparent; blue respectively for Branch B. Have to manually format color fill of levels 2+. When moving topics from Branch A to B, have to manually update the color fill b/c is was manually set. "Paste format" option from level 1 to level 2 is still defaults to any >1 level to have transparent fill

Future feature = option to customize how smart tint works for all subtopics. Check box = fill all subtopics with smart tint to match basal branch? yes please

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin
    edited November 2023

Hi community 👋,

I just wanted to give a quick update on this very popular feature request.

💡 Under Consideration: This idea is currently being viewed, tested and evaluated by Meister's product team.

The Meister Team is currently planning to implement:

• more color options
    • customizable colors that can be saved and reused on each mind map

That will allow for creating palettes and saving them on the map level.

📅 Expected timeline: There is no information yet when this idea will be fully developed/released.
    Stay tuned and subscribe to the thread to stay updated.

Cheers, Cornelia

• Joerg Koper
    Joerg Koper DACH Partner, MT Tester, DE Business Posts: 1,359 Community Leader

Als Experten-Partner von Meister führe ich in meiner Agentur u. a. Workshops für die Integration der Meister Software durch. Hier in der Community freue ich mich auf den Austausch mit Euch und helfe bei Fragen zu MeisterTask, MeisterNote und MindMeister gerne weiter.

Weitere Informationen findest Du auf agenturkoper.de und LinkedIn.

• Oliver Wich

Amazing!!!😍
    EXTREMELY NEEDED Feature!
    Hopefully you can speed things up a little, since it was first announced long time ago 😉

• Cornelia Patscheider
    Cornelia Patscheider Admin, Moderator, MeisterLobster, EN Business, DE Advocate Posts: 591 Community Admin

Hi everyone 👋,

breaking news: the feature you've been waiting for is now available and is currently getting rolled out! 🎉

✅ Delivered: This feature is now available for all users!

More info and details is available in the following post 👇

• David V
    David V EN Basic Posts: 2 New Here

Custom colors is kind of nice, but it is not even close to being the same thing as a custom theme? Where are the default font, size, and colors set for every level of an outline? Is that still planned?

• Cornelia Patscheider
    edited January 29

Hi @David V ,

thanks for the feedback! At the moment, there are no changes to this feature planned that I am aware of. I would say you are very much correct, the wording custom theme has a very different scope in the new MindMeister and is only limited to colors at the moment.

If you would like to see more functionality, like default font, size and colors to extent of the old MindMeister editor then feel free to head over to the feature request section of the community.

• Oliver Wich

Actually thats really disappointing to hear that nobody is considering or working on this feature. This was one major essential feature for MindMeister. We have been waiting for this since the soft-launch of the new editor.

• Cornelia Patscheider

Hi @Oliver Wich MyJEM ,

I totally understand, I saw that there isn't a feature request yet for this specifically outside the current thread we are in. So I made one to highlight some of the requests and wishes that were explained above in the thread.

If you want, vote for the new feature request here below:

Additionally, it would help if you could add a comment in the new thread, explaining what's painful currently and how it would impact your mind mapping having more options building a theme.